SUNBURY | MACEDON RANGES
Home » News » Round two of Woodend versus the service station

Round two of Woodend versus the service station

Residents are preparing for a second battle against a proposal to build a service station and accompanying “food and drink” premises in Woodend.

A planning permit application for a service station at 59a High Street, Woodend, including the new proposal of an accompanying food and drink premises, has been lodged with Macedon Ranges council.

Residents have begun a social media campaign amid fears the “food and drink” premises will be a fast food chain, claiming it would be “out of character” for Woodend.

Macedon Ranges Residents Association secretary and Woodend resident Christine Pruneau told Star Weekly that feedback she had had from the community was against the addition of a “convenience restaurant”.

“It has a suburban stigma,” Ms Pruneau said. “People aren’t supportive of the chain thing out here.”

She said it would disadvantage local businesses and didn’t align with the rural feel.

It is the second time in two years that residents have rallied against plans for a service station at the Woodend site.

Ms Pruneau said residents had previously been worried about the traffic a service station would generate at Woodend’s already congested access point and pedestrian safety.

In May 2015, councillors rejected a proposal for a service station against officers’ advice.

The 2015 applicant – food and petrol giant Coles Express – took the decision to the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal, which resolved to support the council’s decision to reject the plans.

Macedon Ranges Residents Association secretary and Woodend resident Christine Pruneau told Star Weekly The council has not advised when the new application will be addressed.

Digital Editions


More News

  • Eskimo Joe to headline west festival

    Eskimo Joe to headline west festival

    Australia’s beloved alt-rock power trio Eskimo Joe are sure to have audiences up on their feet when they headline the Lincoln Park Twilight Festival. Held on Saturday 28 February at…

  • The sport of kings in Werribee

    The sport of kings in Werribee

    What many call the sport of kings will be on full display at Werribee Park as the historic Urquhart Cup polo tournament gallops into town on Sunday 1 March. More…

  • Jets’ excited for new challenge

    Jets’ excited for new challenge

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 467506 A couple of late signings have boosted the Sunbury Jets hopes as they head into the Big V men’s championship season. The Jets…

  • More cameras coming to Victoria’s roads

    More cameras coming to Victoria’s roads

    The state government will roll out 35 new fixed cameras, two point-to-point networks and tougher distracted-driving and seatbelt enforcement as part of its Road Safety Action Plan. The state government…

  • New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    Two new emergency treatment options will become available in Victorian schools to support students at risk of anaphylaxis. Education Minister Ben Carroll announced the two new services will soon become…

  • Newham residents call for action

    Newham residents call for action

    After a fatal accident on Three Chain Road, Newham residents are calling for urgent action to slow traffic down. About 7.20pm on 3 February, a car and truck collided at…

  • Community Calendar

    Community Calendar

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534644 Montage, Cut and Paste at Kyneton Library During this free event Diane Garrett, an experienced teacher and montage producer, will show how simple…

  • Fifty years of SunFest

    Fifty years of SunFest

    SunFest is celebrating 50 years this March. The beloved festival will take over Sunbury’s streets once again, for a special weekend full of fun, community and Sunbury pride. SunFest started…

  • Residents rally

    Residents rally

    Almost 100 Sunbury residents and members of the No Waste Incinerator Sunbury group descended on Spring Street on Wednesday 18 February to protest a proposed waste-to-energy (WtE) facility mooted for…

  • Malmsbury man charged following crash

    Malmsbury man charged following crash

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 206998 A 28-year-old Malmsbury man has been charged following a collision in Newham. Police said the charges follow a collision between a car and…