SUNBURY | MACEDON RANGES
Home » News » Hanging Rock review no picnic

Hanging Rock review no picnic

Macedon Ranges council has endorsed its submission to a state government review into the future of Hanging Rock, but not before two councillors slammed the way things have been handled.

A motion to retrospectively endorse the document, submitted by the government’s revised July 31 deadline, was the subject of much debate last Wednesday, with Cr Russell Mowatt displeased about approving something that had already been sent.

The government is reviewing management of the Rock, which the council has managed on behalf of the government for 130 years.

The review was promised by Labor before last year’s state election after community outrage at a failed attempt to develop a resort and conference centre. Possible changes include giving control of the iconic site to Parks Victoria.

The council’s submission defended its management record, citing the Rock’s recent state heritage register listing, the success of concerts in its east paddock, investigation of alternative funding and development of an environmental management plan.

Urging the government to maintain the existing management structure, the council also called for ongoing maintenance funding, and money for a master plan and cultural assessment.

It also made recommendations for a more efficient advisory committee structure.

But Cr Jennifer Anderson described the submission as disappointing, firing off a list of questions she felt had not been answered and questioning the make-up of the Hanging Rock Development Advisory Committee.

‘‘Why didn’t we include Landcare or more environmental experts on the committee?” she asked. “Why are the Hanging Rock finances not dealt with separately to those of council in general?

‘‘Why did we put forward a submission for funding through Regional Development Australia without consulting our community?’’

Cr Anderson wanted the submission to outline the council’s opinions about the strengths and weaknesses of management options and its reasons for past decisions. ‘‘If our community … is unhappy with how council is managing the Rock, we should embrace this and have open discussions about how to improve things.’’

Councillors Roger Jukes, Graham Hackett and John Letchford said the submission had been the subject of a long process to which all councillors had the chance to contribute.

Cr Jukes said various committees had evolved over many years, but the current group played an important role.

Hanging Rock Action Group spokesman Luke Spielvogel shared Cr Anderson’s concerns.

‘‘It’s clear there were a lot of inconsistencies in the submission,’’ he said. ‘‘What I worry is who’s setting the strategic direction in our shire – is it our elected representatives or is it the administration?’’

A listening post was set up in Woodend last week. The review is due to be completed this month, followed by a second investigation into planning provisions.

Digital Editions


  • The sport of kings in Werribee

    The sport of kings in Werribee

    What many call the sport of kings will be on full display at Werribee Park as the historic Urquhart Cup polo tournament gallops into town…

More News

  • Community Calendar

    Community Calendar

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534644 Montage, Cut and Paste at Kyneton Library During this free event Diane Garrett, an experienced teacher and montage producer, will show how simple…

  • Fifty years of SunFest

    Fifty years of SunFest

    SunFest is celebrating 50 years this March. The beloved festival will take over Sunbury’s streets once again, for a special weekend full of fun, community and Sunbury pride. SunFest started…

  • Residents rally

    Residents rally

    Almost 100 Sunbury residents and members of the No Waste Incinerator Sunbury group descended on Spring Street on Wednesday 18 February to protest a proposed waste-to-energy (WtE) facility mooted for…

  • Malmsbury man charged following crash

    Malmsbury man charged following crash

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 206998 A 28-year-old Malmsbury man has been charged following a collision in Newham. Police said the charges follow a collision between a car and…

  • Riddell’s next generation

    Riddell’s next generation

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 502756 It’ll be the baby Bombers for Riddell in the Riddell District Netball League this season. After three straight grand finals, the Bombers have…

  • Williamstown cold case mystery

    Williamstown cold case mystery

    Thirty-two years ago, 79-year-old Leah Buck was attacked and robbed in Williamstown in broad daylight. The severe injuries she sustained would result in her death the following day. Her attacker…

  • My Place

    My Place

    Georgia Tacey caught up with Upper Deep Creek Landcare Network Landcare facilitator Ammie Jackson to hear about why she loves the Macedon Ranges and the work she does to protect…

  • Concrete dreams come to life

    Concrete dreams come to life

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534267 It’s been a project a decade in the making, but the revamped Romsey Skatepark is finally complete. The Lancefield Romsey Lions Club’s passion…

  • Beds doubled at Malmsbury youth prison

    Beds doubled at Malmsbury youth prison

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 296812 The state government has more than doubled the amount of beds at Malmsbury Youth Justice Centre. Following last year’s announcement of the centre’s…

  • Disappointment for Frigo

    Disappointment for Frigo

    It was disappointment for Melton’s Airleigh Frigo at the Winter Olympics on Wednesday. Making her Olympic debut, Frigo wasn’t able to make it through the qualifying rounds of the women’s…