SUNBURY | MACEDON RANGES
Home » News » Justice workers welcome corrections support

Justice workers welcome corrections support

 

Employees at Malmsbury youth detention centre have welcomed the deployment of prison officers to restore order.

About 40 additional Corrections Victoria staff – including highly trained response teams, senior management staff and extra prison officers – will be brought on board at both the Malmsbury and Parkville centres.

The move, announced by Families and Children minister Jenny Mikakos, comes after 15 inmates broke out of Malmsbury youth detention centre and were at large in various parts of the state for 24 hours from January 25.

One youth justice worker, who asked not to be named, said there had been serious staffing concerns for some time before the recent disturbances at Malmsbury and Parkville.

“We had been calling for more staff and safer work practices for a long time, but nothing was being done,” the employee told

Star Weekly.

“[Staff] were often outnumbered by clients, four or sometimes five to one.

“Things are much better now that corrections [officers] are on site.

“There is more support and staff feel much safer.”

Ms Mikakos said she was “appalled and angry” about the breakout.

“More violent recidivist offenders coming into our facilities means we need to have the best resources available to us,” she said. “Adult prison officers will move in … to maintain order and protect staff and the community.”

Corrections Minister Gayle Tierney said highly trained corrections staff will also work with police to help prevent “unruly behaviour”.

Staff will operate under the Children, Youth and Families Act as youth justice workers, and will be under the direction and control of the Department of Health and Human Services.

The additional prison officers will also be authorised to use weapons, such as capsicum spray, consistent with the Children, Youth and Families Act and Charter of Human Rights and Responsibilities.

Their deployment follows a crackdown on youth crime, including longer detention stays, more intensive control programs, and a new offence targeting adults who use young people to commit crimes, Ms Tierney said.

Digital Editions


  • Malmsbury man charged following crash

    Malmsbury man charged following crash

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 206998 A 28-year-old Malmsbury man has been charged following a collision in Newham. Police said the charges follow a…

More News

  • Beds doubled at Malmsbury youth prison

    Beds doubled at Malmsbury youth prison

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 296812 The state government has more than doubled the amount of beds at Malmsbury Youth Justice Centre. Following last year’s announcement of the centre’s…

  • Disappointment for Frigo

    Disappointment for Frigo

    It was disappointment for Melton’s Airleigh Frigo at the Winter Olympics on Wednesday. Making her Olympic debut, Frigo wasn’t able to make it through the qualifying rounds of the women’s…

  • Sports shorts

    Sports shorts

    RDFL Diggers Rest has announced another signing for the Riddell District Football League season. Dylan Stone joins the Burras from the Wangaratta Rovers. He has Victorian Football League experience and…

  • Bolinda’s green thumbs

    Bolinda’s green thumbs

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 533137 Bolinda Primary School students have been testing out their green thumbs in the school’s garden. Last year the school received a grant through…

  • Grass fire in Bullengarook

    Grass fire in Bullengarook

    An out-of-control grassfire is burning at the intersection of Gisborne and Bacchus Marsh roads in Bullengarook, prompting an advice message for residents in Bullengarook, Coimadai, Gisborne and Lerderderg. The alert…

  • Small Businesses Bus heads to Kyneton

    Small Businesses Bus heads to Kyneton

    The Small Business Bus is set to arrive in Kyneton for a day of free advice. The service travels across locations in Victoria to provide advice and support for small…

  • Cross funding shortfall

    Cross funding shortfall

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 421226 An extra $150,000 of funding is needed to complete the works at the Mount Macedon Memorial Cross to open it before Anzac Day,…

  • Artrise open date set

    Artrise open date set

    Artrise officially has an opening date set, with the whole Sunbury community invited to celebrate. The new arts hub will officially open with a community day on Saturday 14 March,…

  • Bombers bounce back

    Bombers bounce back

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 437915 Riddell has bounced back and returned to the winners list in the Gisborne and District Cricket Association Jensen Shield. After losing their first…

  • Wedgies given green light

    Wedgies given green light

    The Kyneton Women’s Football Club will take to the field in 2026, under the banner of the Wedge-Tailed Eagles. The Wedgies released a statement on Tuesday 17 February saying it…