SUNBURY | MACEDON RANGES
Home » Uncategorized » RDFLUpdate – ALREADY ONLINE

RDFLUpdate – ALREADY ONLINE

Some of the Riddell District Football League’s biggest rivals won’t have to wait long to be reacquainted next season.

The league’s round one fixtures, released last week, include a number of crunch matches over a two-week extravaganza.

The extended first round has been designed to give supporters the chance to watch every senior football and A-grade netball match to begin the season.

Round one highlights include Melton Centrals hosting closest rival Rockbank at the new Arnolds Creek Reserve; Woodend-Hesket unveiling their new surface at Gilbert Gordon Oval against Lancefield; Diggers Rest hosting traditional rivals Riddell at Bloomdale Oval; and Romsey unfurling the 2015 premiership flag under lights against Sunbury Kangaroos on a Saturday night.

RDFL operations manager Toby Boyle designed the unique round as a way to showcase clubs and the league to start the season.

“The round one fixture is exciting in that we have a mix of traditional timeslots with some new ones and new opportunities to promote our league and clubs to the broader region and public,” Boyle said.

“While the remainder of the fixture won’t be released until prior to the [2015] AGM, it’s pleasing that we have been able to provide clubs with many of their requests while ensuring each club has a genuine opportunity to compete and generate revenue.”

The round one fixture begins on Friday, April 8.

One club that won’t be a part of the special round is Kilmore, which had its application to join the Northern Football League approved by AFL Victoria last week. Kilmore’s request to leave the RDFL was initially knocked back by league officials.

But after winning its appeal to AFL Victoria, Kilmore has been officially welcomed into the NFL, where it will play in division 3 in 2016.

The RDFL said in a statement that it respected the AFL Victoria decision and would not pursue the matter further.

“The board and staff of the Riddell District FNL wish the Kilmore FNC the very best of luck for their future,” the statement read.

“While disappointed to lose a club that has had 66 years of history in the RDFNL, the league hopes this move rejuvenates Kilmore FNC and the club is successful and prosperous long into the future.”

The loss of Kilmore means the RDFL will be a 12-team competition next season.

Digital Editions


More News

  • Eskimo Joe to headline west festival

    Eskimo Joe to headline west festival

    Australia’s beloved alt-rock power trio Eskimo Joe are sure to have audiences up on their feet when they headline the Lincoln Park Twilight Festival. Held on Saturday 28 February at…

  • The sport of kings in Werribee

    The sport of kings in Werribee

    What many call the sport of kings will be on full display at Werribee Park as the historic Urquhart Cup polo tournament gallops into town on Sunday 1 March. More…

  • Jets’ excited for new challenge

    Jets’ excited for new challenge

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 467506 A couple of late signings have boosted the Sunbury Jets hopes as they head into the Big V men’s championship season. The Jets…

  • More cameras coming to Victoria’s roads

    More cameras coming to Victoria’s roads

    The state government will roll out 35 new fixed cameras, two point-to-point networks and tougher distracted-driving and seatbelt enforcement as part of its Road Safety Action Plan. The state government…

  • New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    Two new emergency treatment options will become available in Victorian schools to support students at risk of anaphylaxis. Education Minister Ben Carroll announced the two new services will soon become…

  • Newham residents call for action

    Newham residents call for action

    After a fatal accident on Three Chain Road, Newham residents are calling for urgent action to slow traffic down. About 7.20pm on 3 February, a car and truck collided at…

  • Community Calendar

    Community Calendar

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534644 Montage, Cut and Paste at Kyneton Library During this free event Diane Garrett, an experienced teacher and montage producer, will show how simple…

  • Fifty years of SunFest

    Fifty years of SunFest

    SunFest is celebrating 50 years this March. The beloved festival will take over Sunbury’s streets once again, for a special weekend full of fun, community and Sunbury pride. SunFest started…

  • Residents rally

    Residents rally

    Almost 100 Sunbury residents and members of the No Waste Incinerator Sunbury group descended on Spring Street on Wednesday 18 February to protest a proposed waste-to-energy (WtE) facility mooted for…

  • Malmsbury man charged following crash

    Malmsbury man charged following crash

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 206998 A 28-year-old Malmsbury man has been charged following a collision in Newham. Police said the charges follow a collision between a car and…