SUNBURY | MACEDON RANGES
Home » Uncategorized » Police in carjack crackdown

Police in carjack crackdown

By Alesha Capone

Brimbank is the state’s top spot for carjackings, according to figures from the Crime Statistics Agency.

CSA data supplied to Star Weekly shows there was a total of 200 carjackings reported to Victoria Police between April last year and March this year – 48 of those were recorded in Melbourne’s west.

There were 18 carjackings in Brimbank, including three in St Albans and three in Sunshine North for the 12 month period.

Casey, in the city’s south-east, recorded 16 carjackings for the same time frame, followed by Greater Dandenong and Hume, which both had 12. Melton was fifth-highest in the state with 11 carjackings, including five in the Melton township itself.

Elsewhere in the west, there were seven carjackings in Hobsons Bay, and six each in Wyndham and Maribyrnong.

Brimbank’s Acting Police Inspector Helen Chugg said that “unfortunately” Brimbank was among the areas that had seen an increase in carjackings in recent years.

“We understand there is community concern about these crimes,” she said. “While this type of crime is high profile and has high community concern, thankfully it is rare.

“Carjackings often involve cross-regional offending, meaning offenders may reside in one area, steal a car on the other side of town and then commit further offences in another area.

“To tackle this, our detectives work together at a cross-regional level, sharing intelligence and linking offences to inform our operational response to solve the crimes.”

Inspector Chugg said Taskforce Wayward, a police operation which began in March last year in response to “high harm offences” in the west, had led to 197 people being arrested.

She said another operation, Operation Regnant, resulted in more than 650 arrests.

“Local police complement these taskforces with highly visible proactive patrols aimed at disruption and prevention,” she said.

“We are cracking down on people wanted on warrants, ensuring offenders are complying with their strict bail conditions, and managing persons of interest.”

Digital Editions


More News

  • Eskimo Joe to headline west festival

    Eskimo Joe to headline west festival

    Australia’s beloved alt-rock power trio Eskimo Joe are sure to have audiences up on their feet when they headline the Lincoln Park Twilight Festival. Held on Saturday 28 February at…

  • The sport of kings in Werribee

    The sport of kings in Werribee

    What many call the sport of kings will be on full display at Werribee Park as the historic Urquhart Cup polo tournament gallops into town on Sunday 1 March. More…

  • Jets’ excited for new challenge

    Jets’ excited for new challenge

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 467506 A couple of late signings have boosted the Sunbury Jets hopes as they head into the Big V men’s championship season. The Jets…

  • More cameras coming to Victoria’s roads

    More cameras coming to Victoria’s roads

    The state government will roll out 35 new fixed cameras, two point-to-point networks and tougher distracted-driving and seatbelt enforcement as part of its Road Safety Action Plan. The state government…

  • New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    Two new emergency treatment options will become available in Victorian schools to support students at risk of anaphylaxis. Education Minister Ben Carroll announced the two new services will soon become…

  • Newham residents call for action

    Newham residents call for action

    After a fatal accident on Three Chain Road, Newham residents are calling for urgent action to slow traffic down. About 7.20pm on 3 February, a car and truck collided at…

  • Community Calendar

    Community Calendar

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534644 Montage, Cut and Paste at Kyneton Library During this free event Diane Garrett, an experienced teacher and montage producer, will show how simple…

  • Fifty years of SunFest

    Fifty years of SunFest

    SunFest is celebrating 50 years this March. The beloved festival will take over Sunbury’s streets once again, for a special weekend full of fun, community and Sunbury pride. SunFest started…

  • Residents rally

    Residents rally

    Almost 100 Sunbury residents and members of the No Waste Incinerator Sunbury group descended on Spring Street on Wednesday 18 February to protest a proposed waste-to-energy (WtE) facility mooted for…

  • Malmsbury man charged following crash

    Malmsbury man charged following crash

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 206998 A 28-year-old Malmsbury man has been charged following a collision in Newham. Police said the charges follow a collision between a car and…