SUNBURY | MACEDON RANGES
Home » Uncategorized » Burglary prison appeal rejected

Burglary prison appeal rejected

By Ewen McRae

A man who helped organise an aggravated burglary that led to the death of a Deer Park man on Australia Day, 2014, has had his appeal against the severity of his prison sentence dismissed in the Supreme Court.

Jamie Fisher was sentenced in March, 2017, to six years and three months in jail after pleading guilty to aggravated burglary and five assault charges arising from the incident.

He was acquitted of a charge of manslaughter in February, 2017, over the same incident, following three separate trials.

The court heard Fisher was one of two men who organised a break-in by himself and 12 others at a Billingham Road property at which an Australia Day barbecue was being held.

Fisher had cut short a fishing trip with his friend, Adam Power, after hearing that Power’s cousin had been hospitalised after an altercation on January 25 with a resident from the Billingham Road address.

The court heard Fisher and Power spent the drive home arranging for friends to meet them at Billingham Road for a “run through” at 10pm on January 26. Most were carrying weapons, including axes, machetes, baseball bats, knives and chains. Fisher carried a wooden bat.

The court was told a woman who was on the front porch of the house was bashed, while one of the group smashed through the front door with an axe. Once inside, the group went on a “terrifying rampage”.

Three men inside escaped out windows, but a fourth man, Michael Sleiman, was attacked in a rear bedroom. He suffered multiple blows from various weapons.

Power was sentenced to more than 15 years prison in September, 2016, for the manslaughter of Mr Sleiman.

Fisher argued his sentence on the aggravated burglary and assault charges was manifestly excessive given his “limited role” in the burglary itself as well as his level of remorse in the four years since the offences took place.

He also argued that the three trials he faced for manslaughter constituted an “exceptional circumstance”, and that while both on bail and in custody, he had made major efforts towards rehabilitation.

But judges Simon Whelan, David Beach and Stephen Kaye said the sentence matched the crime and dismissed Fisher’s appeal.

“Given the nature of the offending as we have described it, in our view the sentence imposed was a moderate one, and was certainly not outside the range of sentencing options open to the sentencing judge,” they said.

“This was a very serious aggravated burglary. It was undertaken by a large group of men armed with weapons, was premeditated and planned (and) was motivated by an intention to confront, to intimidate and to injure.

“Conduct of this kind is intolerable and strikes at the foundations of a law-abiding civil society. It demands a stern response.”

Digital Editions


  • No finals for eXtreme

    No finals for eXtreme

    Melbourne eXtreme was unable to win the big moments as it missed out on finals in the Bowls Premier League 23 competition last week. Teams…

More News

  • Crack down on dodgy drivers

    Crack down on dodgy drivers

    New reforms are being introduced to protect Victorian taxi or ride-share passengers from being ripped off. The reforms, which come into effect on Sunday 1 March, will make it easier…

  • Festival’s landmark event

    Festival’s landmark event

    Ballan’s favourite community festival is set to return for its 50th annual event on Sunday 15 March, celebrating local culture, creativity, and community. The Ballan Autumn Festival is one of…

  • Eskimo Joe to headline west festival

    Eskimo Joe to headline west festival

    Australia’s beloved alt-rock power trio Eskimo Joe are sure to have audiences up on their feet when they headline the Lincoln Park Twilight Festival. Held on Saturday 28 February at…

  • The sport of kings in Werribee

    The sport of kings in Werribee

    What many call the sport of kings will be on full display at Werribee Park as the historic Urquhart Cup polo tournament gallops into town on Sunday 1 March. More…

  • Jets’ excited for new challenge

    Jets’ excited for new challenge

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 467506 A couple of late signings have boosted the Sunbury Jets hopes as they head into the Big V men’s championship season. The Jets…

  • More cameras coming to Victoria’s roads

    More cameras coming to Victoria’s roads

    The state government will roll out 35 new fixed cameras, two point-to-point networks and tougher distracted-driving and seatbelt enforcement as part of its Road Safety Action Plan. The state government…

  • New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    Two new emergency treatment options will become available in Victorian schools to support students at risk of anaphylaxis. Education Minister Ben Carroll announced the two new services will soon become…

  • Newham residents call for action

    Newham residents call for action

    After a fatal accident on Three Chain Road, Newham residents are calling for urgent action to slow traffic down. About 7.20pm on 3 February, a car and truck collided at…

  • Community Calendar

    Community Calendar

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534644 Montage, Cut and Paste at Kyneton Library During this free event Diane Garrett, an experienced teacher and montage producer, will show how simple…

  • Fifty years of SunFest

    Fifty years of SunFest

    SunFest is celebrating 50 years this March. The beloved festival will take over Sunbury’s streets once again, for a special weekend full of fun, community and Sunbury pride. SunFest started…