SUNBURY | MACEDON RANGES
Home » Uncategorized » Brimbank ramps up pokies fight

Brimbank ramps up pokies fight

By Ewen McRae

Brimbank council’s fight against the harm caused by pokies is continuing with a draft policy aimed at reducing gambling losses.

Brimbank has long held the unenviable title of the state’s biggest loser when it comes to pokies, with $382,000 a day lost on the machines in the past financial year.

Mayor Lucinda Congreve said the policy “aimed to reduce the economic, social and health harms associated with Electronic Gaming Machines (EGMs).”

“Brimbank is home to some of Melbourne’s most disadvantaged communities,” Cr Congreve said. “Yet year after year, Brimbank experiences the highest EGM losses in Victoria.

“We need to take action to reduce the harms that these losses bring to our community.”

The draft policy’s goals are identifying gambling-related harms, reducing the prevalence of gambling, increasing community understanding of gambling-related harms and reducing the reliance on gambling. The policy includes opposing any licensing applications for new or transferred EGMs, disallowing any new EGMs on council-owned land and working with current EGM operators to reduce community harm.

Much of the debate at last week’s council meeting centred on two clubs that operate EGMs on council land – St Albans Sports Club and Green Gully Soccer Club.

Cr Congreve said that while such clubs provided many benefits to the local community, those benefits had to be balanced against the harm caused by EGMs and the need to combat those harms.

“Council recognises that gambling is a legal form of entertainment that many people enjoy responsibly,” she said.

“Many clubs that have electronic gambling machines also have an important social role in their communities.

“This draft policy seeks to balance this aspect of gambling with the need to minimise harm to those who may be vulnerable … council welcomes feedback from everyone in our community.”

Residents can read the policy and provide feedback at brimbank.vic.gov.au/haveyoursay until Friday, February 22.

Digital Editions


More News

  • Eskimo Joe to headline west festival

    Eskimo Joe to headline west festival

    Australia’s beloved alt-rock power trio Eskimo Joe are sure to have audiences up on their feet when they headline the Lincoln Park Twilight Festival. Held on Saturday 28 February at…

  • The sport of kings in Werribee

    The sport of kings in Werribee

    What many call the sport of kings will be on full display at Werribee Park as the historic Urquhart Cup polo tournament gallops into town on Sunday 1 March. More…

  • Jets’ excited for new challenge

    Jets’ excited for new challenge

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 467506 A couple of late signings have boosted the Sunbury Jets hopes as they head into the Big V men’s championship season. The Jets…

  • More cameras coming to Victoria’s roads

    More cameras coming to Victoria’s roads

    The state government will roll out 35 new fixed cameras, two point-to-point networks and tougher distracted-driving and seatbelt enforcement as part of its Road Safety Action Plan. The state government…

  • New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    Two new emergency treatment options will become available in Victorian schools to support students at risk of anaphylaxis. Education Minister Ben Carroll announced the two new services will soon become…

  • Newham residents call for action

    Newham residents call for action

    After a fatal accident on Three Chain Road, Newham residents are calling for urgent action to slow traffic down. About 7.20pm on 3 February, a car and truck collided at…

  • Community Calendar

    Community Calendar

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534644 Montage, Cut and Paste at Kyneton Library During this free event Diane Garrett, an experienced teacher and montage producer, will show how simple…

  • Fifty years of SunFest

    Fifty years of SunFest

    SunFest is celebrating 50 years this March. The beloved festival will take over Sunbury’s streets once again, for a special weekend full of fun, community and Sunbury pride. SunFest started…

  • Residents rally

    Residents rally

    Almost 100 Sunbury residents and members of the No Waste Incinerator Sunbury group descended on Spring Street on Wednesday 18 February to protest a proposed waste-to-energy (WtE) facility mooted for…

  • Malmsbury man charged following crash

    Malmsbury man charged following crash

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 206998 A 28-year-old Malmsbury man has been charged following a collision in Newham. Police said the charges follow a collision between a car and…