SUNBURY | MACEDON RANGES
Home » Uncategorized » HAWTHORN: Swinburne University pay dispute ends

HAWTHORN: Swinburne University pay dispute ends

A turbulent two-year dispute over working conditions at Swinburne University has ended in a win for staff.

The National Tertiary Education Union (NTEU) has agreed to a settlement with the university that will see 50 new jobs created in a bid to help address the casualisation of the workforce.

The ongoing and fixed-term positions are to be generated for Swinburne’s sessional staff, also called casual academic staff, that have worked with the university for more than four years.

NTEU Swinburne vice president Dr Mark Schier said the union had been campaigning for years to secure better working conditions for Swinburne’s academic staff, the majority of whom were employed by the semester.

He said the dispute had been in and out of the Fair Work Commission a dozen times during the past two years.

“The NTEU has been able to finally resolve the matter and provide genuine security for 50 sessional staff,” he said.

The agreement also means staff who hold PhDs may be appointed as ongoing lecturers, while other positions will be offered to PhD candidates and staff who hold Masters degrees.

NTEU Swinburne Branch Committee member and sessional staff member Dustin Halse said it had been a struggle for the casual workforce, who received only half the superannuation of other staff due to their sessional status.

Halina Sykes, who has worked at Swinburne since 2009, welcomed the opportunity to apply for the new roles.

She said not being entitled to paid maternity leave as a casual employee had recently forced her back to work less than two weeks after having her third child.

Swinburne University’s director of human resources Dr Andrew Smith said the organisation was pleased to take the step to provide greater job security for sessional staff.

“Staff who have taught for at least 72 contact hours in each of 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013 will be eligible to apply for these new roles and all appointments will be made on merit,” he said.

“Through the outcomes that have been achieved, we’re pleased to be able to be adding to the depth of Swinburne’s teaching expertise.”

Swinburne University found itself in hot water late last year after being found guilty of contravening its Enterprise Agreement by not consulting properly with staff when deciding to close its Lilydale campus and relocate its Prahran design faculty in 2012.

A Federal Court ruling saw the university dish out $40,000 to several community groups.  Read the full story here.

Digital Editions


More News

  • Eskimo Joe to headline west festival

    Eskimo Joe to headline west festival

    Australia’s beloved alt-rock power trio Eskimo Joe are sure to have audiences up on their feet when they headline the Lincoln Park Twilight Festival. Held on Saturday 28 February at…

  • The sport of kings in Werribee

    The sport of kings in Werribee

    What many call the sport of kings will be on full display at Werribee Park as the historic Urquhart Cup polo tournament gallops into town on Sunday 1 March. More…

  • Jets’ excited for new challenge

    Jets’ excited for new challenge

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 467506 A couple of late signings have boosted the Sunbury Jets hopes as they head into the Big V men’s championship season. The Jets…

  • More cameras coming to Victoria’s roads

    More cameras coming to Victoria’s roads

    The state government will roll out 35 new fixed cameras, two point-to-point networks and tougher distracted-driving and seatbelt enforcement as part of its Road Safety Action Plan. The state government…

  • New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    Two new emergency treatment options will become available in Victorian schools to support students at risk of anaphylaxis. Education Minister Ben Carroll announced the two new services will soon become…

  • Newham residents call for action

    Newham residents call for action

    After a fatal accident on Three Chain Road, Newham residents are calling for urgent action to slow traffic down. About 7.20pm on 3 February, a car and truck collided at…

  • Community Calendar

    Community Calendar

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534644 Montage, Cut and Paste at Kyneton Library During this free event Diane Garrett, an experienced teacher and montage producer, will show how simple…

  • Fifty years of SunFest

    Fifty years of SunFest

    SunFest is celebrating 50 years this March. The beloved festival will take over Sunbury’s streets once again, for a special weekend full of fun, community and Sunbury pride. SunFest started…

  • Residents rally

    Residents rally

    Almost 100 Sunbury residents and members of the No Waste Incinerator Sunbury group descended on Spring Street on Wednesday 18 February to protest a proposed waste-to-energy (WtE) facility mooted for…

  • Malmsbury man charged following crash

    Malmsbury man charged following crash

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 206998 A 28-year-old Malmsbury man has been charged following a collision in Newham. Police said the charges follow a collision between a car and…