SUNBURY | MACEDON RANGES
Home » Sport » Tigers lock in coaches

Tigers lock in coaches

Lancefield has turned to co-coaches to lead the side forward in the Riddell District Football League.

The Tigers announced on Sunday that Chris Collins and Andrew McTrusty would coach the side next season, replacing Ryan O’Meara, who stood down.

Both men are no strangers to the Tigers.

Collins is a multiple premiership player and has captained and coached the side previously.

McTrusty has been an assistant coach the past three years after spending time in the AFL and NRL.

McTrusty said it was an exciting time for the club.

“It’s unreal,” he said. “It’s going to be different for the club as I don’t think they’ve had co-coaches before.

“The job has so many different areas and it will be a bit of divide and concur.

“There’s a passion for the group and we’ve got some like minded people to help us as assistant coaches.”

McTrusty said the pair were mates and would become closer over the coming months as they take the Tigers forward.

While the pair have just been announced there’s already plenty of work being done behind the scenes.

Former AFL player Daniel Cross and ex-professional cyclist Mitch Docker are both back on board and have been joined by former AFL strength and conditioning coach Matt Hibbert help put together a strong off field program.

McTrusty said they thought they were heading in the right direction with 34 players already having started coming down and doing work at the club before pre-season starts.

He said they didn’t think the late appointment would have any impact.

He said they were in a better position than ever.

“We’ve taken a lot of time to sit back and reflect,” he said. “We put out a job description which we had not had one before.

“We’ve got unbelaible high quality people involved and we’re put together a pre-season.”

McTrusty said they would announce some new signings in the coming weeks and they were still talking to some more about coming across.

He said they were really focused on one areas.

“We want anyone that played for Lancefield to come back and play for Lancefield,’ he said. “There’s a lot of players outside of Lancefield.

“There’s a good energy.”

Digital Editions


More News

  • The sport of kings in Werribee

    The sport of kings in Werribee

    What many call the sport of kings will be on full display at Werribee Park as the historic Urquhart Cup polo tournament gallops into town on Sunday 1 March. More…

  • Jets’ excited for new challenge

    Jets’ excited for new challenge

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 467506 A couple of late signings have boosted the Sunbury Jets hopes as they head into the Big V men’s championship season. The Jets…

  • More cameras coming to Victoria’s roads

    More cameras coming to Victoria’s roads

    The state government will roll out 35 new fixed cameras, two point-to-point networks and tougher distracted-driving and seatbelt enforcement as part of its Road Safety Action Plan. The state government…

  • New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    Two new emergency treatment options will become available in Victorian schools to support students at risk of anaphylaxis. Education Minister Ben Carroll announced the two new services will soon become…

  • Newham residents call for action

    Newham residents call for action

    After a fatal accident on Three Chain Road, Newham residents are calling for urgent action to slow traffic down. About 7.20pm on 3 February, a car and truck collided at…

  • Community Calendar

    Community Calendar

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534644 Montage, Cut and Paste at Kyneton Library During this free event Diane Garrett, an experienced teacher and montage producer, will show how simple…

  • Fifty years of SunFest

    Fifty years of SunFest

    SunFest is celebrating 50 years this March. The beloved festival will take over Sunbury’s streets once again, for a special weekend full of fun, community and Sunbury pride. SunFest started…

  • Residents rally

    Residents rally

    Almost 100 Sunbury residents and members of the No Waste Incinerator Sunbury group descended on Spring Street on Wednesday 18 February to protest a proposed waste-to-energy (WtE) facility mooted for…

  • Malmsbury man charged following crash

    Malmsbury man charged following crash

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 206998 A 28-year-old Malmsbury man has been charged following a collision in Newham. Police said the charges follow a collision between a car and…

  • Riddell’s next generation

    Riddell’s next generation

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 502756 It’ll be the baby Bombers for Riddell in the Riddell District Netball League this season. After three straight grand finals, the Bombers have…