SUNBURY | MACEDON RANGES
Home » Sport » Robbie Castello claims div 1 best and fairest

Robbie Castello claims div 1 best and fairest

A stunning first season with Westmeadows has seen Robbie Castello claim the Essendon District Football League division 1 best and fairest award, the Hutchison Medal.

Castello, who moved to the Tigers this year after stepping down from coaching Maribyrnong Park, polled three votes in the final match of the year to claim the medal.

He finished three clear from Roxburgh Park’s Harley Short and West Coburg’s Tom Baravi.

Castello said he was unsure how he would go in the medal count.

“I didn’t think I was going to win, I missed a lot of footy this year because of work and a couple of little injuries,” he said.

“I’m good mates with Tommy Baravi and it would have been nice to see him win it, he’s a really good footballer.

“Harley Short had a really good year too. I’ll take the individual acknowledgement.”

Castello moved to the Tigers after work commitments with the fire brigade made it too hard for him to continue coaching at Maribyrnong Park.

With several clubs chasing his signature, it was a connection with Mo Kaakour, who had been appointed to the Tigers coaching panel that got him across the line.

Kaakour, who has been appointed the senior coach this season, had a major role this year with Grant Smith travelling a lot for work.

“I obviously had to make the decision at the end of last year, with my work commitments,” he said.

“I didn’t want to play against them [Maribyrnong] in premier division and I didn’t think I could commit to that level.

“It made it a little bit easier when Mo got the coaching job, I knew him pretty well from Maribyrnong Park.

“We would speak on the phone every day. I’m glad I made the decision.“

Castello said he had loved his time at the Tigers and he has already re-signed for next season.

He said having been transferred from a fire station in Portland to Sunbury had taken some pressure off him as a well.

“It’s a great community club, it’s like a little village down there,” he said.

“We’ve got a really good support group all the boys made me feel really welcome and my family and it’s been sensational.

“Not coaching any more gave me the ability to enjoy my football.

“I’m really looking forward to next year and I can’t wait to get back into pre-season. I never thought I would say that, I’m 33 year-old.”

Castello, who said he would love the opportunity to coach again, said the future was bright at the Tigers.

The side finished fourth this year, with their under-19s winning the division 1 premiership.

He said hopefully they could work towards the one thing missing from his career.

“I would do anything for a premiership, I haven’t won one at senior level. I’m hanging for one of those.”

Digital Editions


More News

  • Eskimo Joe to headline west festival

    Eskimo Joe to headline west festival

    Australia’s beloved alt-rock power trio Eskimo Joe are sure to have audiences up on their feet when they headline the Lincoln Park Twilight Festival. Held on Saturday 28 February at…

  • The sport of kings in Werribee

    The sport of kings in Werribee

    What many call the sport of kings will be on full display at Werribee Park as the historic Urquhart Cup polo tournament gallops into town on Sunday 1 March. More…

  • Jets’ excited for new challenge

    Jets’ excited for new challenge

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 467506 A couple of late signings have boosted the Sunbury Jets hopes as they head into the Big V men’s championship season. The Jets…

  • More cameras coming to Victoria’s roads

    More cameras coming to Victoria’s roads

    The state government will roll out 35 new fixed cameras, two point-to-point networks and tougher distracted-driving and seatbelt enforcement as part of its Road Safety Action Plan. The state government…

  • New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    Two new emergency treatment options will become available in Victorian schools to support students at risk of anaphylaxis. Education Minister Ben Carroll announced the two new services will soon become…

  • Newham residents call for action

    Newham residents call for action

    After a fatal accident on Three Chain Road, Newham residents are calling for urgent action to slow traffic down. About 7.20pm on 3 February, a car and truck collided at…

  • Community Calendar

    Community Calendar

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534644 Montage, Cut and Paste at Kyneton Library During this free event Diane Garrett, an experienced teacher and montage producer, will show how simple…

  • Fifty years of SunFest

    Fifty years of SunFest

    SunFest is celebrating 50 years this March. The beloved festival will take over Sunbury’s streets once again, for a special weekend full of fun, community and Sunbury pride. SunFest started…

  • Residents rally

    Residents rally

    Almost 100 Sunbury residents and members of the No Waste Incinerator Sunbury group descended on Spring Street on Wednesday 18 February to protest a proposed waste-to-energy (WtE) facility mooted for…

  • Malmsbury man charged following crash

    Malmsbury man charged following crash

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 206998 A 28-year-old Malmsbury man has been charged following a collision in Newham. Police said the charges follow a collision between a car and…