SUNBURY | MACEDON RANGES
Home » Sport » Gisborne’s application to move leagues knocked back

Gisborne’s application to move leagues knocked back

A defiant Gisborne says it won’t play in the Bendigo Football Netball League next year despite its application to join the Ballarat Football Netball League being knocked back.

The Bulldogs were told officially on Wednesday that AFL Victoria had knocked back their application to change leagues.

The club had been seeking to leave the Bendigo league to join the Ballarat league, for a number of reasons including financially.

The Ballarat league clubs had voted in resoundingly in favour of the move along with Bulldogs members.

AFL Victorian had convened an appeal panel to decide Gisborne’s future after the Bendigo FNL had appealed the decision. The decision went against the Bulldogs.

Bulldogs president Tony Brancatisano said that they knew the decision would be against them a number of weeks ago, and Wednesday’s announcement just made it official.

He said they had already been working on things in the background for this verdict.

“We knew about two or three weeks ago,” he said. “We will work out what we do now, but we’re not taking it lying down as simple as that.

“We will fight it and at the end of the day they don’t own our club, and neither does AFL Victoria.”

Brancatisano said the decision was made based on what was best for the Bendigo league, but what not what was best for their club.

He had previously told Star Weekly that it’s biggest game of the year was actually a practice match against the Sunbury Lions, who play in the Ballarat league.

He said it feels like their club and what it needs means nothing.

Majority of the football and netball group have already re-signed for next season.

“We’re leaving for a reason,” he said. “It’s not viable for us to stay any more.

“Just watch this space.”

Brancatisano said they were keeping their options close to their chest about what options were available to them.

When asked whether they would remain in the Bendigo league, he was clear where the club sat.

“No,” he said. “We’ve got no interest and the board that is there now needs to go for a start.

“There’s no chance we will be working with them, they’ve burnt their bridges.

“The competition it is stuffed the way it is.

“We’ll fight it to the end, it’s not over yet.”

The Ballarat Football Netball League released a statement saying it acknowledges the outcome of the AFL Victoria appeal panel.

“Although the league is disappointed with the outcome the league accepts the decision,” it said.

“The Ballarat Football Netball League remain committed to Gisborne FNC becoming an affiliated member into the Ballarat Football netball League in the future.

“We are looking forward to continuing dialogue with the Gisborne FNC.”

The Bendigo Football Netball League also released a statement saying as a result of the appeal Gisborne would remain as an affiliated member of the Bendigo Football Netball League for the 2026 season and beyond.

“This is a positive outcome for the league and the BFNL looks forward to the continued participation of the GFNC as a highly valued member of our league,” the league said. “The GFNC holds a strong reputation both on and off the field and continues to bring great value to our competitions.

“We extend our sincere thanks to all BFNL member clubs and AFL Victoria for their cooperation and support throughout the appeal process.”

“The BFNL reaffirms its commitment to working constructively and positively with all clubs, ensuring both club and league sustainability remains at the forefront within the defined framework of the AFL Victoria club transfer regulations.”

Digital Editions


  • The sport of kings in Werribee

    The sport of kings in Werribee

    What many call the sport of kings will be on full display at Werribee Park as the historic Urquhart Cup polo tournament gallops into town…

More News

  • Community Calendar

    Community Calendar

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534644 Montage, Cut and Paste at Kyneton Library During this free event Diane Garrett, an experienced teacher and montage producer, will show how simple…

  • Fifty years of SunFest

    Fifty years of SunFest

    SunFest is celebrating 50 years this March. The beloved festival will take over Sunbury’s streets once again, for a special weekend full of fun, community and Sunbury pride. SunFest started…

  • Residents rally

    Residents rally

    Almost 100 Sunbury residents and members of the No Waste Incinerator Sunbury group descended on Spring Street on Wednesday 18 February to protest a proposed waste-to-energy (WtE) facility mooted for…

  • Malmsbury man charged following crash

    Malmsbury man charged following crash

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 206998 A 28-year-old Malmsbury man has been charged following a collision in Newham. Police said the charges follow a collision between a car and…

  • Riddell’s next generation

    Riddell’s next generation

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 502756 It’ll be the baby Bombers for Riddell in the Riddell District Netball League this season. After three straight grand finals, the Bombers have…

  • Williamstown cold case mystery

    Williamstown cold case mystery

    Thirty-two years ago, 79-year-old Leah Buck was attacked and robbed in Williamstown in broad daylight. The severe injuries she sustained would result in her death the following day. Her attacker…

  • My Place

    My Place

    Georgia Tacey caught up with Upper Deep Creek Landcare Network Landcare facilitator Ammie Jackson to hear about why she loves the Macedon Ranges and the work she does to protect…

  • Concrete dreams come to life

    Concrete dreams come to life

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534267 It’s been a project a decade in the making, but the revamped Romsey Skatepark is finally complete. The Lancefield Romsey Lions Club’s passion…

  • Beds doubled at Malmsbury youth prison

    Beds doubled at Malmsbury youth prison

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 296812 The state government has more than doubled the amount of beds at Malmsbury Youth Justice Centre. Following last year’s announcement of the centre’s…

  • Disappointment for Frigo

    Disappointment for Frigo

    It was disappointment for Melton’s Airleigh Frigo at the Winter Olympics on Wednesday. Making her Olympic debut, Frigo wasn’t able to make it through the qualifying rounds of the women’s…