SUNBURY | MACEDON RANGES
Home » News » Water warning for Campaspe

Water warning for Campaspe

Coliban Water has warned that “unfavourable weather conditions” could force non-compliant water releases into the Campaspe River.

The water company said heavy rain could force it to breach its licence and illegally release water into the river from the Kyneton Water Reclamation Plant, which it manages.

Managing director Damian Wells said protecting the Campaspe River was a priority.

“We acknowledge that we must do better to meet environmental regulations and community expectations and we will do better,” he said.

“Our plant is currently compliant with its Environmental Protection Authority (EPA) licence conditions. We have taken some really important steps to invest in proper improvements but these infrastructure works will take time to complete.”

Earlier this month, Coliban Water announced plans to improve waste and domestic treatment processes at the Kyneton Water Reclamation Plant.

Additional aerators will be installed in lagoons to ensure the water released from the plant is within the EPA’s licence conditions.

The installation of extra aerators form part of a three phase project in a bid to protect the Campaspe River. “Until these works are completed, the risk of non-compliant water releases remains,” Mr Wells said. “We made a commitment to keep the community informed on any issues and give advance warning of potential non-compliant releases.”

In June, Coliban Water was forced to undertake a daily emergency discharge of class C recycling water from the Kyneton Reclamation Plant into the Campaspe River.

Coliban Water project director Tony Kelly said the project will help ensure water released from the plant is keeping within the EPA’s Victoria standard.

“Our plant has struggled to store the treated water it produces when there isn’t a demand for irrigation water or sufficient flows to release water to the Campaspe River,” he said.

Digital Editions


More News

  • Eskimo Joe to headline west festival

    Eskimo Joe to headline west festival

    Australia’s beloved alt-rock power trio Eskimo Joe are sure to have audiences up on their feet when they headline the Lincoln Park Twilight Festival. Held on Saturday 28 February at…

  • The sport of kings in Werribee

    The sport of kings in Werribee

    What many call the sport of kings will be on full display at Werribee Park as the historic Urquhart Cup polo tournament gallops into town on Sunday 1 March. More…

  • Jets’ excited for new challenge

    Jets’ excited for new challenge

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 467506 A couple of late signings have boosted the Sunbury Jets hopes as they head into the Big V men’s championship season. The Jets…

  • More cameras coming to Victoria’s roads

    More cameras coming to Victoria’s roads

    The state government will roll out 35 new fixed cameras, two point-to-point networks and tougher distracted-driving and seatbelt enforcement as part of its Road Safety Action Plan. The state government…

  • New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    Two new emergency treatment options will become available in Victorian schools to support students at risk of anaphylaxis. Education Minister Ben Carroll announced the two new services will soon become…

  • Newham residents call for action

    Newham residents call for action

    After a fatal accident on Three Chain Road, Newham residents are calling for urgent action to slow traffic down. About 7.20pm on 3 February, a car and truck collided at…

  • Community Calendar

    Community Calendar

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534644 Montage, Cut and Paste at Kyneton Library During this free event Diane Garrett, an experienced teacher and montage producer, will show how simple…

  • Fifty years of SunFest

    Fifty years of SunFest

    SunFest is celebrating 50 years this March. The beloved festival will take over Sunbury’s streets once again, for a special weekend full of fun, community and Sunbury pride. SunFest started…

  • Residents rally

    Residents rally

    Almost 100 Sunbury residents and members of the No Waste Incinerator Sunbury group descended on Spring Street on Wednesday 18 February to protest a proposed waste-to-energy (WtE) facility mooted for…

  • Malmsbury man charged following crash

    Malmsbury man charged following crash

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 206998 A 28-year-old Malmsbury man has been charged following a collision in Newham. Police said the charges follow a collision between a car and…