By Jessica Micallef
Macedon Ranges residents have dodged a second lockdown, while Sunbury locals and have been reimposed with ‘stay-at-home’ orders.
Last week, Premier Daniel Andrews announced all government areas in metropolitan Melbourne will return to stage three restrictions for six weeks.
This means, Sunbury residents can only leave their homes for four reasons: shopping for food and essential items, care and caregiving, daily exercise and work and study – if it cannot be done from home.
Year 11, 12 and specialist students in Hume
will return to school for term three.
For prep to year 10 students, the school
holidays have been extended by one week, with
students to return to home learning from July
20 until at least August 19.
As part of the stage three lockdown, no more than two people, or the members of one household, can gather in public for one of the four reasons to leave home.
No visitors are allowed at homes, unless it is for caregiving.
Weddings have been limited to five people, while no more than 10 people are allowed at a funeral – this does not include those conducting the service.
Sunbury businesses including restaurants and cafes, have been forced back to takeaway and delivery services and beauty salons, entertainment and cultural venues have also closed.
The return to strict lockdown came after the state recorded it’s highest daily increase in coronavirus cases since the pandemic began.
Across Hume, there were 145 active cases of the virus as of Tuesday. The municipality has recorded 276 cases since the pandemic began.
The Macedon Ranges has zero active COVID-19 cases. The region has recorded only nine cases.
Hume council has closed the Sunbury Aquatic and Leisure Centre, Sunbury library, Hume Global Learning Centre, customer service counter, community centres and gardens and the Eric Boardman Stadium.
Hume Libraries will continue to offer its Hume Libraries Express program.
The state’s chief health officer Brett Sutton said it was more important than ever for all Melbourne residents to abide by the reimposed stage three lockdown.
“Victorians … locked down are being urged to do their bit in the fight against coronavirus – stick to the rules and get to a testing station,” he said.
“This virus is not selective. It will impact anyone it encounters and personal contact is the clear source of its transmission.”
Macedon Ranges residents can get tested at a drive-thru testing clinic at Romsey Medical Centre by appointment (visit romseymedical.com.au or phone 5429 5254), or at the old ambulance bays at Kyneton hospital.
The testing clinic at Timins Street in Sunbury remains open. No bookings required.