SUNBURY | MACEDON RANGES
Home » News » ‘Stunned’ by crossing announcement

‘Stunned’ by crossing announcement

Land will need to be compulsorily acquired to make way for two road bridges that will replace level crossings in Diggers Rest the state government has confirmed.

Early designs for the two road bridges were released last week. At Old Calder Highway the road will be diverted west over the rail line south of Stan Payne Reserve, before turning north to connect with Diggers Rest-Coimadai Road, between Pepper Close and Welcome Road. The new road bridge will include a separated cycling path over the rail line.

The Old Calder Freeway route is something a number of Diggers Rest residents have previously raised concerns about.

Star weekly reported that residents became concerned about the level crossing removal proposals after a site investigation work notification letter sparked fears that if the plan goes ahead certain properties may be up for compulsory acquisition by the government.

These fears led to a town meeting following which preferred alternative routes were presented to the Level Crossing Removal team.

The Diggers Rest resident who organised the town meeting, Bob Rau, said he was “stunned” by the compulsory acquisition announcement.

“There was a request only a couple of weeks ago encouraging us to write submissions to what we thought for the crossing – of which 92 submissions have been made – none of which have been recognised,” Mr Rau said.

“Everyone supported the concept of the crossing going, but no one supported the plan which is now to go ahead.

“Everyone thought it would create a traffic catastrophe.”

Mr Rau said the Diggers Rest community has been offered no face-to-face meeting since the submissions and he fears the government was just “ticking boxes” by inviting feedback.

At Watsons Road a new road bridge with a pedestrian path will be constructed.

The new bridges will open and the level crossings will be gone in 2025.

Currently, around 6300 vehicles use the level crossings daily and up to 27 trains travel through them during the morning peak, meaning the boom gates are down for approximately 36 minutes.

More trains will be able to to run more often on the Sunbury line when the Metro Tunnel opens in 2025.

Digital Editions


More News

  • Eskimo Joe to headline west festival

    Eskimo Joe to headline west festival

    Australia’s beloved alt-rock power trio Eskimo Joe are sure to have audiences up on their feet when they headline the Lincoln Park Twilight Festival. Held on Saturday 28 February at…

  • The sport of kings in Werribee

    The sport of kings in Werribee

    What many call the sport of kings will be on full display at Werribee Park as the historic Urquhart Cup polo tournament gallops into town on Sunday 1 March. More…

  • Jets’ excited for new challenge

    Jets’ excited for new challenge

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 467506 A couple of late signings have boosted the Sunbury Jets hopes as they head into the Big V men’s championship season. The Jets…

  • More cameras coming to Victoria’s roads

    More cameras coming to Victoria’s roads

    The state government will roll out 35 new fixed cameras, two point-to-point networks and tougher distracted-driving and seatbelt enforcement as part of its Road Safety Action Plan. The state government…

  • New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    Two new emergency treatment options will become available in Victorian schools to support students at risk of anaphylaxis. Education Minister Ben Carroll announced the two new services will soon become…

  • Newham residents call for action

    Newham residents call for action

    After a fatal accident on Three Chain Road, Newham residents are calling for urgent action to slow traffic down. About 7.20pm on 3 February, a car and truck collided at…

  • Community Calendar

    Community Calendar

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534644 Montage, Cut and Paste at Kyneton Library During this free event Diane Garrett, an experienced teacher and montage producer, will show how simple…

  • Fifty years of SunFest

    Fifty years of SunFest

    SunFest is celebrating 50 years this March. The beloved festival will take over Sunbury’s streets once again, for a special weekend full of fun, community and Sunbury pride. SunFest started…

  • Residents rally

    Residents rally

    Almost 100 Sunbury residents and members of the No Waste Incinerator Sunbury group descended on Spring Street on Wednesday 18 February to protest a proposed waste-to-energy (WtE) facility mooted for…

  • Malmsbury man charged following crash

    Malmsbury man charged following crash

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 206998 A 28-year-old Malmsbury man has been charged following a collision in Newham. Police said the charges follow a collision between a car and…