SUNBURY | MACEDON RANGES
Home » News » State budget funding for Sunbury and the Macedon Ranges

State budget funding for Sunbury and the Macedon Ranges

There were mixed fortunes for Sunbury and the Macedon Ranges in the state budget released on Tuesday, May 3.

Diggers Rest Primary School is one of the winners, with $13.4 million in funding allocated for modernisation, to “deliver [the] next stage of the planned upgrade of existing facilities”.

Sunbury MP Josh Bull said it was an “incredibly significant and important announcement” for the Diggers Rest Primary School and community.

“The funding will be used to build the new school community hub and senior student learning area,” Mr Bull said.

“I’ve been working with the school for a number of years and previously we committed over $3 million for stage one upgrades and this investment will finish the job, taking Diggers Rest from a good school to a great school for our growing community.”

Another winner in the region is Jacksons Hill in Sunbury, set to receive $2.2 million for protection and restoration works at the historic site, which was once home to the former Sunbury Lunatic Asylum.

“Jacksons Hill is a critically important site for the Sunbury community,” Mr Bull said.

“We have a wonderful masterplan that will turn the site into a vibrant community hub.”

Macedon MP Mary-Anne Thomas’ media release praised the budget’s focus on boosting the state’s regional health systems, and spruiked some of the transport and infrastructure funding in her region.

Ms Thomas’ statement also welcomed the investment in two new town bus routes in Gisborne and a new school town bus service.

There will be $500,000 for the planning and development of the intersection at High and Urquhart streets in Woodend, the statement said.

Earlier in the week, Ms Thomas and Public Transport Minister Ben Carroll visited the region to announce $1.6 million to upgrade Woodend station, which is also in the budget.

However, all projects on the Macedon Ranges council’s state budget wishlist appear to have been omitted – including the last $5 million it needs for stage two of the construction of the Macedon Ranges Regional Sports Precinct (MRRSP).

The state government has already given sport precinct $14.8 million towards the first stage of its construction.

Earlier this month, the federal Labor and Liberal parties made funding announcements to the tune of $15 million for stage two of the precinct, which the Liberal Party confirmed to be delivered in its pre-election economic and fiscal outlook paper.

Other council hopes included funding towards the $18 million Daylesford to Hanging Rock and Kyneton shared trail, $6.5 million for the Woodend Community Centre, $5.5 million for the Kyneton Town Hall and $1.85 million for the Lancefield Kindergarten and Maternal Child Health Centre project.

Digital Editions


  • Join the gardening crew

    Join the gardening crew

    Macedon & Mount Macedon Community House’s (MMMCH) gardens are being kept in tip-top shape by its volunteer gardening crew. Over the past 12 months, volunteers…

More News

  • Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents across Melbourne’s north and west are being called upon to reduce their water consumption as state storage levels fall to 61% of capacity. This current level marks a decrease…

  • Fruity festival returns

    Fruity festival returns

    If you have a green thumb, are an aspiring gardener– or just really love fruit trees– then there’s an event for you. The much-loved Summer Fruit Tree Festival will burst…

  • Finalists announced for AFL community venue award

    Finalists announced for AFL community venue award

    The 2025 finalists have been announced for the AFL’s Ken Gannon Football Facilities Award, recognising the projects that set the benchmark in best-practice design and development to help the continued…

  • New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    Australian women face significant risk when disclosing gender-based violence in sport and quite often receive inadequate or harmful responses according to new research from La Trobe Univeristy. The research project,…

  • Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrities are promoting their own alcohol products on Instagram without a clear disclosure of advertising content and almost all posts are visible to underage users, according to new research from…

  • Funding to improve road safety across Victoria

    Funding to improve road safety across Victoria

    Victorian community organisations and groups will get a total of $600,000 in grants from the Transport Accident Commission (TAC) to develop and implement local road safety projects. The funding, part…

  • Multicultural health committee expanded

    Multicultural health committee expanded

    Victoria’s Multicultural Health Advisory Committee has been expanded in an effort to make the state’s health system more inclusive and increasingly diverse. Health Minister Mary-Anne Thomas unveiled the strengthened and…

  • Grant to make Thunder grow

    Grant to make Thunder grow

    New East Sunbury female football ambassador Emma Grant wants to ensure the female footballers get the same opportunities as male counterparts. The former AFLW player and now Richmond AFLW assistant…

  • Renewable energy soars

    Renewable energy soars

    Energy and Resources Minister Lily D’Ambrosio has announced that Victoria has exceeded its 2025 renewable energy target. Ms D’Ambrosio said renewables accounted for 44.6 per cent of the state’s electricity…

  • Jumpstarting young refugees driving journeys

    Jumpstarting young refugees driving journeys

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 228084 A new program will help young people from refugee backgrounds learn to drive. Minister for Roads and Road Safety Melissa Horne announced the…