SUNBURY | MACEDON RANGES
Home » News » Soil vote ‘kick in the guts’

Soil vote ‘kick in the guts’

A last-gasp bid to revoke the planning scheme that would allow the transfer of contaminated soil to a site in Bulla failed in state Parliament last week.

Western Metropolitan MP Bernie Finn sought a majority vote to revoke the Hume planning scheme amendment that could allow the transport of thousands of trucks of soil from the Westgate Tunnel Project (WTP) arrive at a purpose built facility on Sunbury Road.

Mr Finn said he disapproved of the dumping of PFAS contaminated soil at the Hi-Quality site in Bulla because of its proximity to residential housing.

“That’s what this motion is about, It’s not about the west gate tunnel, it’s not about infrastructure, it’s about the health of tens of thousands of my constituents,” Mr Finn said.

“They [members of parliament] have admitted there is a risk, but they’re more than happy to take it, because none of them live near Sunbury.”

The motion was defeated 17 to 20 votes.

Sunbury Against Toxic Soil Facebook group admininstrator Chris O’Neill said the decision was “a kick in the guts”.

“We’re really disappointed, we thought it was going to be close and we tried our hardest,” Mr O’Neill said.

“We were in constant contact with crossbench MPs but unfortunately it didn’t go our way.”

Mr O’Neill said that Sunbury and Bulla residents had thrown their support behind the motion, with more than 650 community members sending emails to relevant ministers to plead their case.

Speaking against the motion, Western Metropolitan MP Cesar Melhem said the state government had appropriately engaged the community.

“I am not discounting for a moment the concerns of our citizens in Sunbury and whether it is in Caroline Springs or Bacchus Marsh,” Mr Melhem said, in reference to the three communities that could receive soil from the WTP.

“I believe they have been addressed, but any further work to be done in relation to addressing these concerns absolutely should happen and will continue to happen.

“We can talk about there being no consultation, but there has been a lot of consultation.”

In April, Hume council mayor Joseph Haweil said the lack of consultation from the Victorian government was “beyond belief”, and the council has since initiated legal proceedings against the planning scheme amendment.

Hume council’s Supreme Court challenge will be heard in July.

Transurban is expected to select one or more sites for the relocation project later this year.

Digital Editions


  • The sport of kings in Werribee

    The sport of kings in Werribee

    What many call the sport of kings will be on full display at Werribee Park as the historic Urquhart Cup polo tournament gallops into town…

More News

  • Community Calendar

    Community Calendar

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534644 Montage, Cut and Paste at Kyneton Library During this free event Diane Garrett, an experienced teacher and montage producer, will show how simple…

  • Fifty years of SunFest

    Fifty years of SunFest

    SunFest is celebrating 50 years this March. The beloved festival will take over Sunbury’s streets once again, for a special weekend full of fun, community and Sunbury pride. SunFest started…

  • Residents rally

    Residents rally

    Almost 100 Sunbury residents and members of the No Waste Incinerator Sunbury group descended on Spring Street on Wednesday 18 February to protest a proposed waste-to-energy (WtE) facility mooted for…

  • Malmsbury man charged following crash

    Malmsbury man charged following crash

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 206998 A 28-year-old Malmsbury man has been charged following a collision in Newham. Police said the charges follow a collision between a car and…

  • Riddell’s next generation

    Riddell’s next generation

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 502756 It’ll be the baby Bombers for Riddell in the Riddell District Netball League this season. After three straight grand finals, the Bombers have…

  • Williamstown cold case mystery

    Williamstown cold case mystery

    Thirty-two years ago, 79-year-old Leah Buck was attacked and robbed in Williamstown in broad daylight. The severe injuries she sustained would result in her death the following day. Her attacker…

  • My Place

    My Place

    Georgia Tacey caught up with Upper Deep Creek Landcare Network Landcare facilitator Ammie Jackson to hear about why she loves the Macedon Ranges and the work she does to protect…

  • Concrete dreams come to life

    Concrete dreams come to life

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534267 It’s been a project a decade in the making, but the revamped Romsey Skatepark is finally complete. The Lancefield Romsey Lions Club’s passion…

  • Beds doubled at Malmsbury youth prison

    Beds doubled at Malmsbury youth prison

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 296812 The state government has more than doubled the amount of beds at Malmsbury Youth Justice Centre. Following last year’s announcement of the centre’s…

  • Disappointment for Frigo

    Disappointment for Frigo

    It was disappointment for Melton’s Airleigh Frigo at the Winter Olympics on Wednesday. Making her Olympic debut, Frigo wasn’t able to make it through the qualifying rounds of the women’s…