SUNBURY | MACEDON RANGES
Home » News » Prisoners escaped via hole in ceiling

Prisoners escaped via hole in ceiling

It took prison guards more than 12 hours to notice two young inmates had escaped through a hole in the ceiling after being held in COVID-19 isolation, a court has heard.

Shamus Tuohy, 22, and Matthew Piscopo, 19, used pillows to disguise themselves as sleeping when they escaped earlier this month, after causing an estimated $10,000 in damage to Victoria’s Malmsbury Youth Justice Centre.

The pair were 36 hours into lockdown after being identified as COVID-19 close contacts when they hatched their escape plan, Ballarat Magistrates Court heard on Tuesday.

About 7.30pm on August 6, Tuohy and Piscopo covered their cell windows with black sheets to discuss their escape, before each tried to break apart the sinks inside their cells.

Piscopo used broken sink components to cut a hole into the plaster ceiling above him and climbed through it across to Tuohy’s cell about 9.20pm, prosecutors told the court.

Tuohy was unsuccessful in breaking apart his sink, so Piscopo kicked the plaster ceiling until he could climbed through it.

They traversed the roof space and climbed down a ladder into a maintenance room, where they forced open the locked metal doors by breaking off a hinge.

External CCTV cameras captured the pair running across the prison car park to a nearby street, but guards did not notice they were missing until 10.30am the following day.

“Malmsbury correctional staff conducted hourly checks on the accused and co-accused throughout the night but did not discover they had escaped,“ prosecutor Clint Prebble said.

“They placed pillows and stuff towards under the blankets to give the appearance they were sleeping.“

He said the prison’s operations manager believed about $10,000 damage was caused during the escape.

Tuohy spent three days on the run before he was arrested at a motel in Corio, more than an hour’s drive from the prison.

His lawyer James Gilfillan said Tuohy was frustrated after being held in COVID-19 lockdown when he planned the escape.

“The fact that this wasn’t discovered until 10am the next morning is a bit concerning,“ he told the court.

“Ultimately, he does take responsibility for his actions that day.“

Tuohy pleaded guilty to nine charges while appearing by video link from an adult prison, including escaping lawful custody, criminal damage, stealing a vehicle and theft.

Magistrate Mark Stratmann sentenced him to one year in prison for the escape and other offences he committed in May, not including 92 days already spent in custody.

Piscopo will appear at Ballarat Magistrates Court on September 8.

Digital Editions


  • Concrete dreams come to life

    Concrete dreams come to life

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534267 It’s been a project a decade in the making, but the revamped Romsey Skatepark is finally complete. The…

More News

  • Grass fire in Bullengarook

    Grass fire in Bullengarook

    An out-of-control grassfire is burning at the intersection of Gisborne and Bacchus Marsh roads in Bullengarook, prompting an advice message for residents in Bullengarook, Coimadai, Gisborne and Lerderderg. The alert…

  • Small Businesses Bus heads to Kyneton

    Small Businesses Bus heads to Kyneton

    The Small Business Bus is set to arrive in Kyneton for a day of free advice. The service travels across locations in Victoria to provide advice and support for small…

  • Cross funding shortfall

    Cross funding shortfall

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 421226 An extra $150,000 of funding is needed to complete the works at the Mount Macedon Memorial Cross to open it before Anzac Day,…

  • Artrise open date set

    Artrise open date set

    Artrise officially has an opening date set, with the whole Sunbury community invited to celebrate. The new arts hub will officially open with a community day on Saturday 14 March,…

  • Bombers bounce back

    Bombers bounce back

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 437915 Riddell has bounced back and returned to the winners list in the Gisborne and District Cricket Association Jensen Shield. After losing their first…

  • Wedgies given green light

    Wedgies given green light

    The Kyneton Women’s Football Club will take to the field in 2026, under the banner of the Wedge-Tailed Eagles. The Wedgies released a statement on Tuesday 17 February saying it…

  • Macedon CFA open day

    Macedon CFA open day

    The Macedon CFA is opening its doors for a Community Day and Fundraiser. Visit the station on Saturday 28 February for a day of family fun, food, and special guests…

  • Women’s history centre stage

    Women’s history centre stage

    A special one-off theatrical performance is coming to the Kyneton Town Hall in celebration of International Women’s Day. In 2026, the theme for International Women’s Day is #BalanceTheScales – a…

  • Lions skin checks yield promising results

    Lions skin checks yield promising results

    A skin check bus hosted by Macedon Ranges Lions Clubs has offered insight to the local community about the importance of getting checked. In early February, the Gisborne, Kyneton, Woodend,…

  • Probus celebrates 50 years

    Probus celebrates 50 years

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534248 The Woodlands Ladies Probus Club is celebrating Probus’ 50th anniversary. Founded in 1976 in Australia, Probus has grown into a network of social…