SUNBURY | MACEDON RANGES
Home » News » Police warning on September

Police warning on September

Victoria Police is issuing an urgent road safety warning to all motorists, including those in Sunbury and Macedon Ranges, as the state enters a high-risk period for death and serious injury.

There were 28 lives lost on Victoria’s roads in September last year, making it the deadliest month for the entire year.

Police said its intelligence shows two thirds of the fatalities recorded last September were vulnerable road users, including motorcyclists, pedestrians, and cyclists.

Assistant Commissioner Road Policing Glenn Weir said it was a particularly bad month for the most vulnerable road users, with motorcyclists making up the majority of those killed.

“Last September was absolutely tragic on our roads, with 28 lives lost marking the worst month of the year and the worst September in 16 years,” he said.

“Now is not the time to be complacent. The number of lives being lost on our roads this year should absolutely be cause for concern for everyone.

“We want everyone to think about not only their own safety but how their decisions and behaviour behind the wheel can impact the safety of others.

“September is a fantastic time of year, it’s the start of spring, footy finals, spring racing… there’s lots to look forward to.

“Let’s ensure it stays that way, we don’t want September to be renowned for road trauma.”

With spring a time when many recreational motorcyclists jump back on their bikes, police are urging all riders to be extra cautious.

Police suspect excessive and inappropriate speed, unauthorised riding, not wearing appropriate protective riding gear and driver behaviour around sharing the road with motorcyclists were key factors in fatal collisions involving motorcyclists.

Police said they are determined to avoid a repeat of last September’s concerning road trauma trend and will prioritise road policing enforcement across the month.

Digital Editions


More News

  • Eskimo Joe to headline west festival

    Eskimo Joe to headline west festival

    Australia’s beloved alt-rock power trio Eskimo Joe are sure to have audiences up on their feet when they headline the Lincoln Park Twilight Festival. Held on Saturday 28 February at…

  • The sport of kings in Werribee

    The sport of kings in Werribee

    What many call the sport of kings will be on full display at Werribee Park as the historic Urquhart Cup polo tournament gallops into town on Sunday 1 March. More…

  • Jets’ excited for new challenge

    Jets’ excited for new challenge

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 467506 A couple of late signings have boosted the Sunbury Jets hopes as they head into the Big V men’s championship season. The Jets…

  • More cameras coming to Victoria’s roads

    More cameras coming to Victoria’s roads

    The state government will roll out 35 new fixed cameras, two point-to-point networks and tougher distracted-driving and seatbelt enforcement as part of its Road Safety Action Plan. The state government…

  • New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    Two new emergency treatment options will become available in Victorian schools to support students at risk of anaphylaxis. Education Minister Ben Carroll announced the two new services will soon become…

  • Newham residents call for action

    Newham residents call for action

    After a fatal accident on Three Chain Road, Newham residents are calling for urgent action to slow traffic down. About 7.20pm on 3 February, a car and truck collided at…

  • Community Calendar

    Community Calendar

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534644 Montage, Cut and Paste at Kyneton Library During this free event Diane Garrett, an experienced teacher and montage producer, will show how simple…

  • Fifty years of SunFest

    Fifty years of SunFest

    SunFest is celebrating 50 years this March. The beloved festival will take over Sunbury’s streets once again, for a special weekend full of fun, community and Sunbury pride. SunFest started…

  • Residents rally

    Residents rally

    Almost 100 Sunbury residents and members of the No Waste Incinerator Sunbury group descended on Spring Street on Wednesday 18 February to protest a proposed waste-to-energy (WtE) facility mooted for…

  • Malmsbury man charged following crash

    Malmsbury man charged following crash

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 206998 A 28-year-old Malmsbury man has been charged following a collision in Newham. Police said the charges follow a collision between a car and…