SUNBURY | MACEDON RANGES
Home » News » More affordable housing for Sunbury

More affordable housing for Sunbury

Thirty-five houses will be built in Sunbury for those who need it most, as part of the state government’s Big Housing Build.

The state government recently announced the first round of the build, which includes 2352 social housing properties across 89 projects.

Each project will be completed in partnership with a housing provider.

In Sunbury, Community Housing Limited (CHL) will oversee the project.

In total the project will cost $14,650,345 with $11,654,487 coming from Victorian government grants.

Hume mayor Joseph Haweil said “there is certainly a need” for this investment in areas such as Sunbury.

“That’s an area certainly where people are really struggling,” Cr Haweil said.

“We’re always happy to receive funding, and take on more projects. We want to see a bigger commitment from Homes Victoria.”

The Big Housing Build is set to deliver more than 12,000 new homes to boost Victoria’s social housing supply by 10 per cent.

CHL managing director Steve Bevington said the houses would give people greater options for secure living arrangements.

“The average weekly rent in metro and regional Victoria is simply out of reach for low-income earners. Coupled with the economic downfalls from COVID-19, vulnerable community members are suffering more than ever,” Mr Bevington said.

“This has contributed to an increased demand for affordable housing with 51,000 households on the Victorian Housing Register, and 27,500 of those listed for priority access to a home in March this year.”

In November last year, the state government announced $30 million toward affordable housing in the Macedon Ranges.

Last week Macedon Ranges council announced officers will present a new draft affordable housing policy at a meeting in October.

“This is an important piece of work required to understand the extent of affordable housing need in the shire, and to clarify the role that we can play alongside the Victorian government in creating housing to meet that need,” mayor Jennifer Anderson said.

Digital Editions


More News

  • The sport of kings in Werribee

    The sport of kings in Werribee

    What many call the sport of kings will be on full display at Werribee Park as the historic Urquhart Cup polo tournament gallops into town on Sunday 1 March. More…

  • Jets’ excited for new challenge

    Jets’ excited for new challenge

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 467506 A couple of late signings have boosted the Sunbury Jets hopes as they head into the Big V men’s championship season. The Jets…

  • More cameras coming to Victoria’s roads

    More cameras coming to Victoria’s roads

    The state government will roll out 35 new fixed cameras, two point-to-point networks and tougher distracted-driving and seatbelt enforcement as part of its Road Safety Action Plan. The state government…

  • New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    Two new emergency treatment options will become available in Victorian schools to support students at risk of anaphylaxis. Education Minister Ben Carroll announced the two new services will soon become…

  • Newham residents call for action

    Newham residents call for action

    After a fatal accident on Three Chain Road, Newham residents are calling for urgent action to slow traffic down. About 7.20pm on 3 February, a car and truck collided at…

  • Community Calendar

    Community Calendar

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534644 Montage, Cut and Paste at Kyneton Library During this free event Diane Garrett, an experienced teacher and montage producer, will show how simple…

  • Fifty years of SunFest

    Fifty years of SunFest

    SunFest is celebrating 50 years this March. The beloved festival will take over Sunbury’s streets once again, for a special weekend full of fun, community and Sunbury pride. SunFest started…

  • Residents rally

    Residents rally

    Almost 100 Sunbury residents and members of the No Waste Incinerator Sunbury group descended on Spring Street on Wednesday 18 February to protest a proposed waste-to-energy (WtE) facility mooted for…

  • Malmsbury man charged following crash

    Malmsbury man charged following crash

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 206998 A 28-year-old Malmsbury man has been charged following a collision in Newham. Police said the charges follow a collision between a car and…

  • Riddell’s next generation

    Riddell’s next generation

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 502756 It’ll be the baby Bombers for Riddell in the Riddell District Netball League this season. After three straight grand finals, the Bombers have…