SUNBURY | MACEDON RANGES
Home » News » McGann steals show for Sunbury

McGann steals show for Sunbury

A stunning bowling display from Jason McGann turned the Victorian Turf Cricket Association Russell Pollock division 5 grand final right in Sunbury’s favour.

Having set a strong total with the bat, the Roar and their opponents Moonee Valley didn’t expect what was to come next.

McGann ripped through the Moonee Valley top order, taking five wickets, including a hat-trick, to leave Moonee Valley reeling at 5-1.

Roar captain-coach Craig Ballinger said they hadn’t seen anything like that before.

“You can’t write a script for that,” he said.

“I haven’t seen a bowling spell like that to open an innings, let alone a grand final when the pressure is on.”

The hat-trick is McGann’s second this season, after never having got one previously in a long cricket career.

McGann’s performance was one of several to help put the Roar on top after day two of the four day grand final.

The Roar were sent in and for one of the first times this season they had to bat first.

Ballinger said they were planning to bat had they won the toss to give their batters a chance to shine.

Sunbury managed to make 232 in nearly 90 overs, including batting nearly 10 overs at the start of day two.

Ballinger said it was nice to have the chance to post a really good score and make Moonee Valley pay for sending them in.

“It’s the first time we’ve really batted the overs,” he said.

“We’ve had different people stand up at different times and it makes it hard for these guys to jump on the stats.

“Jordie [Tentonello] has just delivered for us again. Me and Juzzy [Nelson] did the work at the start and took the sting out of the game.

“We would have liked a bit more out of the middle, but Jordie did what Jordie does.”

Tentonello finished with 68 not out, while Ballinger made 62.

After being in trouble at 5-1, Moonee Valley put on a partnership of 71 to take the score to 5-72.

Jay King then got the big wicket of Anthony Cafari, who Ballinger said was the key man for Moonee Valley.

Two more late wickets would fall, leaving Moonee Valley in trouble at 8-78.

Ballinger said they were happy with how things were placed despite not claiming a first innings victory on weekend one.

He said they weren’t focusing on what might happen over the next week due to corona.

“You can’t take too much into it, you’ve got to focus on the job at hand,” he said.

“Being a grand final and a long way to go, as you saw [Josh] Gorry and young Cafari dug in and showed the rest of them what they have to do.

“We’re focused on four days of cricket. We knew what we were in for and we’re mentally prepared to play four days of cricket.

“We didn’t get carried away and we stuck to the same process that we’ve been doing the last four to five games.

Digital Editions


More News

  • Eskimo Joe to headline west festival

    Eskimo Joe to headline west festival

    Australia’s beloved alt-rock power trio Eskimo Joe are sure to have audiences up on their feet when they headline the Lincoln Park Twilight Festival. Held on Saturday 28 February at…

  • The sport of kings in Werribee

    The sport of kings in Werribee

    What many call the sport of kings will be on full display at Werribee Park as the historic Urquhart Cup polo tournament gallops into town on Sunday 1 March. More…

  • Jets’ excited for new challenge

    Jets’ excited for new challenge

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 467506 A couple of late signings have boosted the Sunbury Jets hopes as they head into the Big V men’s championship season. The Jets…

  • More cameras coming to Victoria’s roads

    More cameras coming to Victoria’s roads

    The state government will roll out 35 new fixed cameras, two point-to-point networks and tougher distracted-driving and seatbelt enforcement as part of its Road Safety Action Plan. The state government…

  • New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    Two new emergency treatment options will become available in Victorian schools to support students at risk of anaphylaxis. Education Minister Ben Carroll announced the two new services will soon become…

  • Newham residents call for action

    Newham residents call for action

    After a fatal accident on Three Chain Road, Newham residents are calling for urgent action to slow traffic down. About 7.20pm on 3 February, a car and truck collided at…

  • Community Calendar

    Community Calendar

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534644 Montage, Cut and Paste at Kyneton Library During this free event Diane Garrett, an experienced teacher and montage producer, will show how simple…

  • Fifty years of SunFest

    Fifty years of SunFest

    SunFest is celebrating 50 years this March. The beloved festival will take over Sunbury’s streets once again, for a special weekend full of fun, community and Sunbury pride. SunFest started…

  • Residents rally

    Residents rally

    Almost 100 Sunbury residents and members of the No Waste Incinerator Sunbury group descended on Spring Street on Wednesday 18 February to protest a proposed waste-to-energy (WtE) facility mooted for…

  • Malmsbury man charged following crash

    Malmsbury man charged following crash

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 206998 A 28-year-old Malmsbury man has been charged following a collision in Newham. Police said the charges follow a collision between a car and…