SUNBURY | MACEDON RANGES
Home » News » Lancefield fire wood claim

Lancefield fire wood claim

A Lancefield landholder whose property was devastated in a 2015 bushfire is claiming almost $1 million in compensation.

In September 2015, the Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning (DELWP) instigated a controlled burn-off in Lancefield that resulted in the fire escaping containment lines and entering nearby properties, including the firewood business of Graeme and Adele Walker.

Public documents lodged with the County Court show that DELWP had agreed to pay the Walkers $172,895 in compensation, which they accepted.

But the Walkers are now claiming almost $1 million in compensation to cover lost firewood, a vintage bulldozer, uncut timber burnt on the forest floor and loss of future earnings as a result of the fire.

While DELWP has admitted the burns broke the containment lines and entered surrounding properties, it is defending the claim in the County Court.

Mr Walker’s sister, Cherie Goodson, acting as spokesperson for the couple, said she couldn’t comprehend how a controlled burn was able to get out of hand.

Ms Goodson said it was disappointing her brother and DELWP could not see “eye to eye” on the matter.

“They can’t come to an arrangement because they won’t accept what he says and I think it’s just made him more determined,” she said.

“They [DELWP] have to own up to their responsibilities. At this stage, they won’t agree to pay for the value of the wood. Graeme has a registered wood business – for in excess of 25 years he’s had this business.

“You have to look at the dollar value from his point of view – it’s a lot of wood cut for the next couple of seasons … in Melbourne, it hits a pretty penny.”

The matter is listed for trial in the County Court on December 3.

Digital Editions


  • Fifty years of SunFest

    Fifty years of SunFest

    SunFest is celebrating 50 years this March. The beloved festival will take over Sunbury’s streets once again, for a special weekend full of fun, community…

More News

  • My Place

    My Place

    Georgia Tacey caught up with Upper Deep Creek Landcare Network Landcare facilitator Ammie Jackson to hear about why she loves the Macedon Ranges and the work she does to protect…

  • Concrete dreams come to life

    Concrete dreams come to life

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534267 It’s been a project a decade in the making, but the revamped Romsey Skatepark is finally complete. The Lancefield Romsey Lions Club’s passion…

  • Beds doubled at Malmsbury youth prison

    Beds doubled at Malmsbury youth prison

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 296812 The state government has more than doubled the amount of beds at Malmsbury Youth Justice Centre. Following last year’s announcement of the centre’s…

  • Disappointment for Frigo

    Disappointment for Frigo

    It was disappointment for Melton’s Airleigh Frigo at the Winter Olympics on Wednesday. Making her Olympic debut, Frigo wasn’t able to make it through the qualifying rounds of the women’s…

  • Sports shorts

    Sports shorts

    RDFL Diggers Rest has announced another signing for the Riddell District Football League season. Dylan Stone joins the Burras from the Wangaratta Rovers. He has Victorian Football League experience and…

  • Bolinda’s green thumbs

    Bolinda’s green thumbs

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 533137 Bolinda Primary School students have been testing out their green thumbs in the school’s garden. Last year the school received a grant through…

  • Grass fire in Bullengarook

    Grass fire in Bullengarook

    An out-of-control grassfire is burning at the intersection of Gisborne and Bacchus Marsh roads in Bullengarook, prompting an advice message for residents in Bullengarook, Coimadai, Gisborne and Lerderderg. The alert…

  • Small Businesses Bus heads to Kyneton

    Small Businesses Bus heads to Kyneton

    The Small Business Bus is set to arrive in Kyneton for a day of free advice. The service travels across locations in Victoria to provide advice and support for small…

  • Cross funding shortfall

    Cross funding shortfall

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 421226 An extra $150,000 of funding is needed to complete the works at the Mount Macedon Memorial Cross to open it before Anzac Day,…

  • Artrise open date set

    Artrise open date set

    Artrise officially has an opening date set, with the whole Sunbury community invited to celebrate. The new arts hub will officially open with a community day on Saturday 14 March,…