SUNBURY | MACEDON RANGES
Home » News » Horror franchise coming to Melbourne

Horror franchise coming to Melbourne

Victoria will set the scene for the latest installment of the hit horror franchise Insidious.

Creative Industries Minister Colin Brooks announced Melbourne has been chosen as the filming location for Insidious Six, delivering a $29 million boost to the Victorian economy and creating more than 500 local jobs.

“Created by Victorians, Insidious is a franchise that has captured the imagination and attention of audiences around the world and is testament to the depth of creative talent we export to the world,” he said.

“Productions like this are big business for our state, they create jobs for Victorians and boost local businesses.”

Insidious Six, which is part of a franchise created by Victorians Leigh Whannell and James Wan, has become one of the most successful horror series of all time, grossing more than $740 million worldwide.

Melbourne’s distinctive architecture and streetscapes will provide a moody backdrop with filming now underway in locations including Camberwell, Essendon and Kensington, as well as Docklands Studios Melbourne.

The Sony Pictures and Blumhouse film is produced by Jason Blum, Oren Peli, and James Wan and Leigh Whannell, with executive producers Ryan Turek, Steven Schneider, Brian Kavanaugh-Jones, and David Leslie Johnson.

The film is directed by Jacob Chase and written by Chase and David Leslie Johnson will star actors including Lin Shaye (Insidious, There’s Something About Mary), Amelia Eve (The Haunting of Bly Manor), Brandon Perea (A Big Bold Beautiful Journey) and Victorian actor Laura Gordon (Late Night With the Devil).

“Melbourne is an incredible city for filmmaking — its mix of world-class crews, cutting-edge facilities, and rich creative culture made it the perfect home for our next Insidious film,” Blumhouse founder and chief executive officer Jason Blum said.

“We love being here and are grateful for the support we’ve received from the local film community.”

The Allan Labor Government’s VicScreen strategy has so far created more than 46,000 local jobs, engaged 17,000 Victorian businesses and generated $1.7 billion in direct economic expenditure in Victoria.

Insidious Six was attracted to the state through the Victorian Screen Rebate and also received support from the Federal Government’s Location Offset.

“We’re thrilled to welcome the Insidious team to Victoria to make another heart-pounding film. It demonstrates the confidence that Sony and Blumhouse has in our highly skilled crews, world-class facilities, and striking locations,” VicScreen chief executive officer Caroline Pitcher said.

“The Insidious series was created by Victorian talent and we’re proud that they’ve come back here to generate employment and skills development opportunities for Victorian screen workers and businesses.”

Digital Editions


More News

  • Eskimo Joe to headline west festival

    Eskimo Joe to headline west festival

    Australia’s beloved alt-rock power trio Eskimo Joe are sure to have audiences up on their feet when they headline the Lincoln Park Twilight Festival. Held on Saturday 28 February at…

  • The sport of kings in Werribee

    The sport of kings in Werribee

    What many call the sport of kings will be on full display at Werribee Park as the historic Urquhart Cup polo tournament gallops into town on Sunday 1 March. More…

  • Jets’ excited for new challenge

    Jets’ excited for new challenge

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 467506 A couple of late signings have boosted the Sunbury Jets hopes as they head into the Big V men’s championship season. The Jets…

  • More cameras coming to Victoria’s roads

    More cameras coming to Victoria’s roads

    The state government will roll out 35 new fixed cameras, two point-to-point networks and tougher distracted-driving and seatbelt enforcement as part of its Road Safety Action Plan. The state government…

  • New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    Two new emergency treatment options will become available in Victorian schools to support students at risk of anaphylaxis. Education Minister Ben Carroll announced the two new services will soon become…

  • Newham residents call for action

    Newham residents call for action

    After a fatal accident on Three Chain Road, Newham residents are calling for urgent action to slow traffic down. About 7.20pm on 3 February, a car and truck collided at…

  • Community Calendar

    Community Calendar

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534644 Montage, Cut and Paste at Kyneton Library During this free event Diane Garrett, an experienced teacher and montage producer, will show how simple…

  • Fifty years of SunFest

    Fifty years of SunFest

    SunFest is celebrating 50 years this March. The beloved festival will take over Sunbury’s streets once again, for a special weekend full of fun, community and Sunbury pride. SunFest started…

  • Residents rally

    Residents rally

    Almost 100 Sunbury residents and members of the No Waste Incinerator Sunbury group descended on Spring Street on Wednesday 18 February to protest a proposed waste-to-energy (WtE) facility mooted for…

  • Malmsbury man charged following crash

    Malmsbury man charged following crash

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 206998 A 28-year-old Malmsbury man has been charged following a collision in Newham. Police said the charges follow a collision between a car and…