Historic Sunbury churches to open doors

Hazel Alexander, Peter Jones, Peg Jones, Judith Bracher, Joan Konen (front), Mary Wicks and Joe Koren. Picture: Joe Mastroianni

Sunbury residents can take a look inside some of the town’s oldest buildings this Saturday.

St Mary’s Anglican Church in O’Shanassy Street, completed in 1867, the Lutheran Church on the corner of Brook and Jackson streets and Our Lady of Mount Carmel Catholic Church in Macedon Street will be open from 11am-4pm.

St Andrews Uniting Church, corner of Brook and Barkly streets, will be open from 8.30am-3.30pm. The open day coincides with a car boot sale on the Village Green and craft stalls in the St Andrews church hall.

Construction of the bluestone Our Lady of Mount Carmel church began in November 1864 and the church took more than 10 years to complete.