SUNBURY | MACEDON RANGES
Home » News » Hi-Quality ready for ‘toxic’ soil

Hi-Quality ready for ‘toxic’ soil

Hi-Quality will begin receiving contaminated soil from the West Gate Tunnel Project in March, despite an ongoing Hume council Supreme Court challenge and community outrage.

Sunbury resident and founder of the Sunbury Against Toxic Soil Facebook group Chris O’Neill said it was a “difficult day” for residents, considering they had “fought so hard” against the project.

“I think Hi-Quality, the government and all the relevant parties need to start engaging better with the community,” Mr O’Neill said.

In a statement on Thursday, February 24, , Hi-Quality said the first stage of the construction of the facility was complete and ready to accept the soil.

“It will operate 24 hours a day, seven days a week for the duration of tunnel excavation for the West Gate Tunnel Project,” the statement said.

A Hi-Quality spokesperson told Star Weekly the facility has been designed with “robust environmental protection measures”.

“To prevent any impact on the surrounding land or waterways, and our operational plans include strict guidelines for trucks and transport, as well on-site mitigation measures for dust, noise and lighting,” the spokesperson said.

This follows concern raised last week by residents and council about the Department of Transport’s approval of a route to carry contaminated soil from to the facility.

According to the traffic management plan, prepared by Hi-Quality Group, trucks will take soil from the tunnel project through Footscray to CityLink, before taking the “preferred haulage route” along Tullamarine Freeway to Sunbury Road/Bulla Road.

Among council’s concerns is the sheer volume of heavy vehicle traffic that will descend onto an already-congested Sunbury Road – 429 trucks a day, making trips to and from the facility.

Hume mayor Carly Moore said the council wrote to Transport Infrastructure Minister Jacinta Allan to express opposition to the traffic management plan in October last year.

“This decision will see an additional 850 heavy vehicles added to the existing number of vehicles,” Cr Moore said,

“This section of the road already sees more than 24,000 vehicles every day and has had a total of 80 recorded crashes in the last ten years to December 2020, including three fatalities and 39 serious injuries.”

“It isn’t enough that our backyard may become a dumping ground for toxic spoil, we now also have more reason to worry about the safety of those who use Sunbury Road to take their kids to school, go to work and do the shopping,” she said.

Mr O’Neill said the community had a number of concerns to do with the route, most notably the overuse of the heritage-listed Bulla Bridge.

“We’ve continued to raise that the Bulla Bridge is unsuitable, and Hume City Council has raised it as unsuitable,” Mr O’Neill said.

“It doesn’t meet the guidelines required for a heavy haulage route.”

The Hi-Quality spokesperson said at the project’s peak, there will be an additional 15-18 trucks on the road per hour, equating to a 2-4 per cent traffic increase .

“Our approved Traffic Management Plan addresses key concerns, including clear protocols for the use of haulage routes along B-Double approved arterial roads, as well as road safety assessments, and strict tracking and monitoring of Project trucks,” the spokesperson said.

Hume council has launched legal action against Planning Minister Richard Wynne’s decision to grant permission for the testing and disposal of contaminated soil at the Bulla site.

Legal proceedings took place on Wednesday, February 23, but the case was adjourned, and the judge has reserved her decision until after she reviews oral and written submissions.

There is no indication of how long the process will take.

Cr Moore said with the addition of the heavy vehicles, it will be a “matter of when and not if” another road incident occurs.

“Along with advocating for the toxic spoil to not come to Hume, Council has long advocated to the Victorian government for both the full duplication of Sunbury Road and delivery of the Bulla Bypass – both infrastructure projects which will address safety and congestion concerns,” Cr Moore said.

Digital Editions


More News

  • Macedon CFA open day

    Macedon CFA open day

    The Macedon CFA is opening its doors for a Community Day and Fundraiser. Visit the station on Saturday 28 February for a day of family fun, food, and special guests…

  • Women’s history centre stage

    Women’s history centre stage

    A special one-off theatrical performance is coming to the Kyneton Town Hall in celebration of International Women’s Day. In 2026, the theme for International Women’s Day is #BalanceTheScales – a…

  • Lions skin checks yield promising results

    Lions skin checks yield promising results

    A skin check bus hosted by Macedon Ranges Lions Clubs has offered insight to the local community about the importance of getting checked. In early February, the Gisborne, Kyneton, Woodend,…

  • Probus celebrates 50 years

    Probus celebrates 50 years

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534248 The Woodlands Ladies Probus Club is celebrating Probus’ 50th anniversary. Founded in 1976 in Australia, Probus has grown into a network of social…

  • Top for Sunbury

    Top for Sunbury

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 515749 Club Sunbury has given itself the best chance come Bowls Victoria weekend pennant, division 1, section 1 finals. Every shot was vital in…

  • Free immunisations sessions

    Free immunisations sessions

    Macedon Ranges council provides free immunisations as set out by the National Immunisation Program. When you attend a council immunisation session you should bring your child’s health book and Medicare…

  • Ambulance response times closer to targets

    Ambulance response times closer to targets

    Ambulance response times have been released for October to December 2025, with response times improving in the Macedon Ranges. According to Ambulance Victoria, paramedics responded to 738 code one call…

  • Calling all artists

    Calling all artists

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 336543 Applications for the Hume Gallery annual exhibition are now open, offering emerging artists the chance to display their work. The program aims to…

  • Join the gardening crew

    Join the gardening crew

    Macedon & Mount Macedon Community House’s (MMMCH) gardens are being kept in tip-top shape by its volunteer gardening crew. Over the past 12 months, volunteers have developed a variety of…

  • New Landcare group for Kerrie

    New Landcare group for Kerrie

    A new Landcare group may soon be formed for the Kerrie area. The Upper Deep Creek Landcare Network, with support from Macedon Ranges council, has organised a community meeting at…