SUNBURY | MACEDON RANGES
Home » News » Funding pledge for Macedon sports hub

Funding pledge for Macedon sports hub

Following last week’s federal budget funding omission for stage two of the Macedon Ranges Regional Sports Precinct (MRRSP), the Labor Party today announced it will invest $15 million to build the New Gisborne hub if elected at the next federal election.

Originally called the New Gisborne Regional Sports Precinct, it’s been on the cards for some time – since a Macedon Ranges council leisure strategy and indoor sports courts feasibility study between 2006 to 2009.

Labor McEwen MP Rob Mitchell and opposition Cities and Urban Infrastructure spokesperson Andrew Giles announced the funding at the Macedon Ranges Netball Complex.

“I know how much this precinct will mean to people,” Mr Mitchell said.

“For too long our community has dealt with overflowing facilities with so many families needing to travel out of the area for children to participate in sports.

“Rapid growth in population and female participation has put a huge strain on clubs and competitions because the facilities are not there to meet the community’s needs.”

The election promise is set to fund sports hub courts, a function room, additional new car parking, a new practice oval, outdoor multi-sport courts, sports pavilion amenities and landscaping.

The $15 million funding would be in addition to the $14.8 million committed by the state government for stage one of the project, to begin in May.

Longtime campaigner for the MRRSP, Megan Condron, said she welcomed the funding pledge because the hub would mean “choice and access” for the community,

“I feel relieved, because when I started this project, my kids were 10 years old. I’ve spent the last 10 years driving out of the shire to give them access to grassroots sporting competitions,” Ms Condron said.

Mr Giles said it is estimated the completed sports hub would generate $59 million in regional economic benefits through construction and operations.

“When complete, the full precinct will increase local participation in basketball, futsal, footy, cricket and large community events,” Mr Giles said.

“It will also support passive recreation including walking and cycling.

“In addition, it will allow hosting major regional events, bringing an influx of visitors to the region. When fully operational, the precinct will support 23 direct and 11 indirect jobs.”

Last week, Macedon Ranges council chief executive Bernie O’Sullivan said council was “disappointed” not to have been allocated funding for the sports precinct in the federal budget.

“Construction on stage one is soon to commence, however council is seeking $15 million in funding from the federal government to contribute towards the $21 million required for stage two,” Mr O’Sullivan said.

Ms Condron said the lack of sporting infrastructure in the region impacted sporting opportunities for women and girls.

“From my point of view, we’re talking about two decades here, of minimal infrastructure funding for female sport, and this is what this precinct is, in my opinion, fixing,” Ms Condron said.

“We’ve got waitlists, I got tired of turning little kids away from wanting to try sport.

“I want my girls to be active, I want my community to be active and to say, ‘No, sorry, they can’t do it because we don’t have court space’, is crazy.”

Digital Editions


More News

  • Macedon CFA open day

    Macedon CFA open day

    The Macedon CFA is opening its doors for a Community Day and Fundraiser. Visit the station on Saturday 28 February for a day of family fun, food, and special guests…

  • Women’s history centre stage

    Women’s history centre stage

    A special one-off theatrical performance is coming to the Kyneton Town Hall in celebration of International Women’s Day. In 2026, the theme for International Women’s Day is #BalanceTheScales – a…

  • Lions skin checks yield promising results

    Lions skin checks yield promising results

    A skin check bus hosted by Macedon Ranges Lions Clubs has offered insight to the local community about the importance of getting checked. In early February, the Gisborne, Kyneton, Woodend,…

  • Probus celebrates 50 years

    Probus celebrates 50 years

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534248 The Woodlands Ladies Probus Club is celebrating Probus’ 50th anniversary. Founded in 1976 in Australia, Probus has grown into a network of social…

  • Top for Sunbury

    Top for Sunbury

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 515749 Club Sunbury has given itself the best chance come Bowls Victoria weekend pennant, division 1, section 1 finals. Every shot was vital in…

  • Free immunisations sessions

    Free immunisations sessions

    Macedon Ranges council provides free immunisations as set out by the National Immunisation Program. When you attend a council immunisation session you should bring your child’s health book and Medicare…

  • Ambulance response times closer to targets

    Ambulance response times closer to targets

    Ambulance response times have been released for October to December 2025, with response times improving in the Macedon Ranges. According to Ambulance Victoria, paramedics responded to 738 code one call…

  • Calling all artists

    Calling all artists

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 336543 Applications for the Hume Gallery annual exhibition are now open, offering emerging artists the chance to display their work. The program aims to…

  • Join the gardening crew

    Join the gardening crew

    Macedon & Mount Macedon Community House’s (MMMCH) gardens are being kept in tip-top shape by its volunteer gardening crew. Over the past 12 months, volunteers have developed a variety of…

  • New Landcare group for Kerrie

    New Landcare group for Kerrie

    A new Landcare group may soon be formed for the Kerrie area. The Upper Deep Creek Landcare Network, with support from Macedon Ranges council, has organised a community meeting at…