SUNBURY | MACEDON RANGES
Home » News » ‘Exciting’ family violence changes welcomed

‘Exciting’ family violence changes welcomed

Community health workers are confident that Sunbury and the Macedon Ranges will not be left behind by sweeping changes to the state’s family violence support system.

The Royal Commission into Family Violence report, released on Wednesday after a 13-month investigation, was described by Cobaw Community Health chief executive Margaret McDonald as ‘‘exciting and groundbreaking’’.

‘‘This is an opportunity to really shift and change the whole community’s understanding, how we prevent and respond to victims and perpetrators,’’ she said.

The state government said it would implement all 227 recommendations in the report, including the creation of 17 support and safety hubs statewide.

Early intervention services and information sharing will be improved, while more specialists will be available at courts.

Premier Daniel Andrews promised a ‘‘housing blitz’’ for women in crisis and more resources for police, schools and hospitals.

Regional Development Minister Jaala Pulford said priority would be given to people in rural and regional communities, where family violence rates are higher.

MARGARET MCDONALD. PICTURE: SHAWN SMITS

 

Ms McDonald said a greater focus on prevention and behavioural change programs was welcome.

She said Cobaw’s strong relationships with partner agencies to the north and south would ensure the area does not miss out.

‘‘If they establish something in Bendigo, they will always pull in expertise from outlying areas,’’ she said.

While some critics expressed fears about how the reforms would be paid for, Ms McDonald said it was impossible to put a price on survivors’ lives.

‘‘Any investment is worth it,’’ she said.

‘‘Family violence and the very real impact on children and adults across the community is upper most in our minds.’’

Macedon Ranges survivor Belinda Spence said improvements to crisis housing were essential.

‘‘Many women are not going to leave a situation where they have a roof over their head for a situation where they don’t, no matter how bad it is,’’ she said.

A government spokesman said support and safety hubs would be established in each of the state’s Department of Health and Human Services districts, making it easier for victims to find help quickly. Mobile services may be used to reach outlying communities.

Meanwhile, Macedon Ranges council was last week recognised by Women’s Health Loddon Mallee for its efforts to prevent violence against women.

It was the first council to develop an action plan to prevent violence during and after emergencies, such as bushfires.

Digital Editions


  • Calling all artists

    Calling all artists

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 336543 Applications for the Hume Gallery annual exhibition are now open, offering emerging artists the chance to display their…

More News

  • Additional health test for newborns

    Additional health test for newborns

    Victoria has become the first Australian jurisdiction to include sickle cell disease in its universal newborn health screening program. This expansion brings the total number of rare but serious conditions…

  • Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents across Melbourne’s north and west are being called upon to reduce their water consumption as state storage levels fall to 61% of capacity. This current level marks a decrease…

  • Fruity festival returns

    Fruity festival returns

    If you have a green thumb, are an aspiring gardener– or just really love fruit trees– then there’s an event for you. The much-loved Summer Fruit Tree Festival will burst…

  • Finalists announced for AFL community venue award

    Finalists announced for AFL community venue award

    The 2025 finalists have been announced for the AFL’s Ken Gannon Football Facilities Award, recognising the projects that set the benchmark in best-practice design and development to help the continued…

  • New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    Australian women face significant risk when disclosing gender-based violence in sport and quite often receive inadequate or harmful responses according to new research from La Trobe Univeristy. The research project,…

  • Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrities are promoting their own alcohol products on Instagram without a clear disclosure of advertising content and almost all posts are visible to underage users, according to new research from…

  • Funding to improve road safety across Victoria

    Funding to improve road safety across Victoria

    Victorian community organisations and groups will get a total of $600,000 in grants from the Transport Accident Commission (TAC) to develop and implement local road safety projects. The funding, part…

  • Multicultural health committee expanded

    Multicultural health committee expanded

    Victoria’s Multicultural Health Advisory Committee has been expanded in an effort to make the state’s health system more inclusive and increasingly diverse. Health Minister Mary-Anne Thomas unveiled the strengthened and…

  • Grant to make Thunder grow

    Grant to make Thunder grow

    New East Sunbury female football ambassador Emma Grant wants to ensure the female footballers get the same opportunities as male counterparts. The former AFLW player and now Richmond AFLW assistant…

  • Renewable energy soars

    Renewable energy soars

    Energy and Resources Minister Lily D’Ambrosio has announced that Victoria has exceeded its 2025 renewable energy target. Ms D’Ambrosio said renewables accounted for 44.6 per cent of the state’s electricity…