SUNBURY | MACEDON RANGES
Home » News » Elective surgery backlog causes pain

Elective surgery backlog causes pain

In the four years Brendan Thorneloe has waited to have his hip replaced, he’s felt himself slipping away from the world.

The 57-year-old Sunbury resident was a truck driver and labourer before he had to stop working in 2018 due to the excruciating pain.

He said he was put on the category two elective surgery waiting list at Western Health back then, but still has no idea when he’ll be treated.

“I’m fed up. I just want it fixed,” he said.

“I just want to go back to work.”

Since then, his sense of isolation has steadily increased – even doing the shopping is hard some days – so catching up with friends and fostering relationships is difficult when he’s in pain all the time.

“In 2021, just before we were locked down again, there was preparation for me to get it done. But as soon as the lockdown came in, it was called off,” he said.

“It’s debilitating some days. Some days it’s good depending on the weather.”

Mr Thorneloe is emblematic of the elective surgery backlog, which the Australian Medical Association (AMA) said is expected to reach more than 500,000 by June this year “if no action is taken by governments”.

AMA president Professor Steve Robson said the country needs a national plan to address the backlog, with “an immediate injection of funds required”.

“The AMA is calling for a new funding agreement between the state and territories and the Commonwealth that includes an upfront advance payment provided by the Commonwealth to support state and territory governments to expand their capacity (including workforce) to address the elective surgery backlog,” the AMA said.

Professor Robson said there also needed to be more data on waiting lists reported more regularly and transparently.

According to Victorian Agency for Health Information data, as of September 2022 the wait list for category two elective surgeries at Western Health was 3400 patients long across Footscray, Sunshine, Sunbury and Williamstown hospitals.

While Western Health could not comment on Mr Thorneloe’s individual situation due to confidentiality, acting chief operating officer Jason Plant said they would continue working with the Department of Health on the management of patients on the planned surgery wait list.

“As part of the state government’s COVID Catch-Up Plan, we have completed an additional 400 cases and collaborated with private hospitals to perform surgeries for 179 Western Health patients,” he said.

On Friday, January 27, after Star Weekly raised Mr Thorneloe’s case with the health service, he said he received a call to arrange an appointment to discuss his concerns, though a date as not yet been set.

Digital Editions


  • No finals for eXtreme

    No finals for eXtreme

    Melbourne eXtreme was unable to win the big moments as it missed out on finals in the Bowls Premier League 23 competition last week. Teams…

More News

  • Crack down on dodgy drivers

    Crack down on dodgy drivers

    New reforms are being introduced to protect Victorian taxi or ride-share passengers from being ripped off. The reforms, which come into effect on Sunday 1 March, will make it easier…

  • Festival’s landmark event

    Festival’s landmark event

    Ballan’s favourite community festival is set to return for its 50th annual event on Sunday 15 March, celebrating local culture, creativity, and community. The Ballan Autumn Festival is one of…

  • Eskimo Joe to headline west festival

    Eskimo Joe to headline west festival

    Australia’s beloved alt-rock power trio Eskimo Joe are sure to have audiences up on their feet when they headline the Lincoln Park Twilight Festival. Held on Saturday 28 February at…

  • The sport of kings in Werribee

    The sport of kings in Werribee

    What many call the sport of kings will be on full display at Werribee Park as the historic Urquhart Cup polo tournament gallops into town on Sunday 1 March. More…

  • Jets’ excited for new challenge

    Jets’ excited for new challenge

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 467506 A couple of late signings have boosted the Sunbury Jets hopes as they head into the Big V men’s championship season. The Jets…

  • More cameras coming to Victoria’s roads

    More cameras coming to Victoria’s roads

    The state government will roll out 35 new fixed cameras, two point-to-point networks and tougher distracted-driving and seatbelt enforcement as part of its Road Safety Action Plan. The state government…

  • New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    Two new emergency treatment options will become available in Victorian schools to support students at risk of anaphylaxis. Education Minister Ben Carroll announced the two new services will soon become…

  • Newham residents call for action

    Newham residents call for action

    After a fatal accident on Three Chain Road, Newham residents are calling for urgent action to slow traffic down. About 7.20pm on 3 February, a car and truck collided at…

  • Community Calendar

    Community Calendar

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534644 Montage, Cut and Paste at Kyneton Library During this free event Diane Garrett, an experienced teacher and montage producer, will show how simple…

  • Fifty years of SunFest

    Fifty years of SunFest

    SunFest is celebrating 50 years this March. The beloved festival will take over Sunbury’s streets once again, for a special weekend full of fun, community and Sunbury pride. SunFest started…