SUNBURY | MACEDON RANGES
Home » News » Council seeks government support to protect historic bridge

Council seeks government support to protect historic bridge

Macedon Ranges council will once again push the state government to provide complete protection of Gisborne’s historic Bunjil Creek Bridge and surrounding mature trees in a bid to stop a plan that will see them removed to make way for a roundabout.

At a meeting last week a majority of councillors voted in favour of submitting additional amendments to the existing heritage overlay.

The amendments would include the two include two century old oaks and one elm tree located at the Hamilton Street, Kilmore Road and Melbourne Road intersection at the gateway to the Gisborne township.

The efforts to introduce a new heritage overlay comes as preparatory works are under way to improve traffic flow and road safety, a project which received backing from Macedon MP Mary-Anne Thomas.

Council first sought to protect the assets in May last year, but was denied by Minister for Planning Richard Wynne on the basis that an agreement had been struck with Regional Roads Victoria (RRV) for them to be retained in any development works.

RRV has since stated that there is an increased flood risk if bridge and its bluestone channel are retained in their current form.

Speaking in support of protecting the bridge, Macedon Ranges council deputy mayor Rob Guthrie said he believes it is possible to raise the underside of the bluestone bridge, thus removing the identified flood risk.

“This could be accommodated within the roundabout design,” Cr Guthrie said.

“I think we should be protecting these assets, they’re very, very important. Let’s carry out the works from the Gisborne Flood Study and let it live for another 147 years.”

But councillor Geoff Neil, who voted in opposition of the heritage overlay proposal, said the risk of flooding could not be ignored.

“My biggest concern is about the 26 odd residents there on the other side of the road… they’re going to get flooded out if we raise the bridge or build over the current structure,” Cr Neil said.

Digital Editions


More News

  • The sport of kings in Werribee

    The sport of kings in Werribee

    What many call the sport of kings will be on full display at Werribee Park as the historic Urquhart Cup polo tournament gallops into town on Sunday 1 March. More…

  • Jets’ excited for new challenge

    Jets’ excited for new challenge

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 467506 A couple of late signings have boosted the Sunbury Jets hopes as they head into the Big V men’s championship season. The Jets…

  • More cameras coming to Victoria’s roads

    More cameras coming to Victoria’s roads

    The state government will roll out 35 new fixed cameras, two point-to-point networks and tougher distracted-driving and seatbelt enforcement as part of its Road Safety Action Plan. The state government…

  • New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    Two new emergency treatment options will become available in Victorian schools to support students at risk of anaphylaxis. Education Minister Ben Carroll announced the two new services will soon become…

  • Newham residents call for action

    Newham residents call for action

    After a fatal accident on Three Chain Road, Newham residents are calling for urgent action to slow traffic down. About 7.20pm on 3 February, a car and truck collided at…

  • Community Calendar

    Community Calendar

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534644 Montage, Cut and Paste at Kyneton Library During this free event Diane Garrett, an experienced teacher and montage producer, will show how simple…

  • Fifty years of SunFest

    Fifty years of SunFest

    SunFest is celebrating 50 years this March. The beloved festival will take over Sunbury’s streets once again, for a special weekend full of fun, community and Sunbury pride. SunFest started…

  • Residents rally

    Residents rally

    Almost 100 Sunbury residents and members of the No Waste Incinerator Sunbury group descended on Spring Street on Wednesday 18 February to protest a proposed waste-to-energy (WtE) facility mooted for…

  • Malmsbury man charged following crash

    Malmsbury man charged following crash

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 206998 A 28-year-old Malmsbury man has been charged following a collision in Newham. Police said the charges follow a collision between a car and…

  • Riddell’s next generation

    Riddell’s next generation

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 502756 It’ll be the baby Bombers for Riddell in the Riddell District Netball League this season. After three straight grand finals, the Bombers have…