SUNBURY | MACEDON RANGES
Home » News » Concern rises over pokies

Concern rises over pokies

Hume council is concerned about an upward trend in gaming machine losses across the municipality, with more than $29 million lost in the first three months of 2018-19.

Monthly data from the Victorian Commission for Gambling and Liquor Regulation shows that $9.9 million was lost at Hume gaming venues in July, followed by $10 million in August and $9.4 million in September.

In 2016-17, more than $109 million was lost on poker machines in Hume – about $300,339 every day. The municipality is home to 833 gaming machines at 14 venues.

Hume mayor Carly Moore said the losses showed a trend of significantly higher losses month-on-month.

“While gambling is a legal activity, it can become problematic and can have harmful consequences for individuals, their families and the broader community,” Cr Moore said.

“The recent data on losses show a worrying trend of pokie machine losses across Hume city and it is also concerning to see the potential impact of the state government’s new legislation for 20 year licences that was passed last year.

“Hume has a regional cap of 851 pokies entitlements and council remains committed to raising our communities’ awareness of the potential harms associated with gambling.

“Council will continue to work with the state government to see that the harm for gambling is minimised, especially within our most vulnerable communities.”

Alliance for Gambling Reform spokesman Tim Costello said the commission’s data showed Victoria was headed for record pokies losses in 2018.

“Increased losses mean rising harm, family violence, suicide, financial hardship and crime, which is particularly disturbing when you consider it is often our most vulnerable communities who are being exploited by poker machines,” he said.

Earlier this year, Hume council began a review of its Responsible Gaming Policy and asked residents to share their opinions and experiences with gambling.

The policy will assist the council to respond to the Victoria Commission for Gambling and Liquor Regulation on gaming applications throughout Hume.

A series of workshops and surveys were held in September and October to seek feedback from residents.

A draft policy will be developed and will be available for public consultation in 2019.

Data from the Victorian Commission for Gambling and Liquor Regulation also show that machine venues across the Macedon Ranges have collected more than $8 million in losses during October, up from $7.8 million in September.

Digital Editions


More News

  • Eskimo Joe to headline west festival

    Eskimo Joe to headline west festival

    Australia’s beloved alt-rock power trio Eskimo Joe are sure to have audiences up on their feet when they headline the Lincoln Park Twilight Festival. Held on Saturday 28 February at…

  • The sport of kings in Werribee

    The sport of kings in Werribee

    What many call the sport of kings will be on full display at Werribee Park as the historic Urquhart Cup polo tournament gallops into town on Sunday 1 March. More…

  • Jets’ excited for new challenge

    Jets’ excited for new challenge

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 467506 A couple of late signings have boosted the Sunbury Jets hopes as they head into the Big V men’s championship season. The Jets…

  • More cameras coming to Victoria’s roads

    More cameras coming to Victoria’s roads

    The state government will roll out 35 new fixed cameras, two point-to-point networks and tougher distracted-driving and seatbelt enforcement as part of its Road Safety Action Plan. The state government…

  • New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    Two new emergency treatment options will become available in Victorian schools to support students at risk of anaphylaxis. Education Minister Ben Carroll announced the two new services will soon become…

  • Newham residents call for action

    Newham residents call for action

    After a fatal accident on Three Chain Road, Newham residents are calling for urgent action to slow traffic down. About 7.20pm on 3 February, a car and truck collided at…

  • Community Calendar

    Community Calendar

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534644 Montage, Cut and Paste at Kyneton Library During this free event Diane Garrett, an experienced teacher and montage producer, will show how simple…

  • Fifty years of SunFest

    Fifty years of SunFest

    SunFest is celebrating 50 years this March. The beloved festival will take over Sunbury’s streets once again, for a special weekend full of fun, community and Sunbury pride. SunFest started…

  • Residents rally

    Residents rally

    Almost 100 Sunbury residents and members of the No Waste Incinerator Sunbury group descended on Spring Street on Wednesday 18 February to protest a proposed waste-to-energy (WtE) facility mooted for…

  • Malmsbury man charged following crash

    Malmsbury man charged following crash

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 206998 A 28-year-old Malmsbury man has been charged following a collision in Newham. Police said the charges follow a collision between a car and…