SUNBURY | MACEDON RANGES
Home » News » Concern over Macedon Ranges homeless numbers

Concern over Macedon Ranges homeless numbers

Homelessness in the Macedon Ranges has increased by 41 per cent, with a Northern Victoria MP calling for more action.

Australian Bureau of Statistics data released last month, showed 83 people in the Macedon Ranges local government area were homeless on census night 2021, out of 30,605 people across the state. That is an increase of 24 in the Macedon Ranges from the last census.

Liberal MP Wendy Lovell said the figures will have increased since 2021 and is calling on the state government to put forward solutions.

“These figures will have only increased since census night 2021,” she said. “Yet we have failed to see any solutions put forward by the government or Housing Minister Colin Brooks.”

The statistics show the percentage of homelessness in the Macedon Ranges in 2021, compared to 2016 increased by almost 41 per cent, which is almost double the state average of 23.3 per cent and the national average of 5.2 per cent.

Ms Lovell said the state government hid the extent of the housing crisis by failing to release the quarterly social housing waiting lists since June 2022. With the latest known figures showing 722 applicants had priority status while waiting for housing in the Macedon Ranges.

“Applicants with priority status are the most vulnerable who are homeless, at risk of recurring homelessness, escaping family violence, living with a disability or have special housing needs,” she said.

“These applicants have been given priority status because they are deemed to be in immediate need of housing, however the state budget performance measure shows applicants are waiting an average of 14 months to be housed.”

A government spokesperson said there are a range of services responding to people experiencing homelessness.

“Victoria’s specialist homelessness services are responding to the needs of more than 100,000 people experiencing or at risk of homelessness, through over 70 access points across the state, every year,” the spokesperson said.

“This includes the homelessness to a home and homes for families programs, with an investment of over $230 million to provide a pathway to safe and stable housing for over 2,000 Victorians”.

To date there has been $10 million invested in Macedon Ranges to create 19 new homes and $22 million has been invested to build 52 new homes in Sunbury.

The spokesperson said the state government’s Big Housing Build project will work to provide new homes and stability to Victorians.

“Work is well underway on the Andrews Labor government’s landmark $5.3 billion Big Housing Build, which will deliver more than 12,000 new homes – providing a stable foundation for thousands of Victorians to build their lives.”

Digital Editions


  • Malmsbury man charged following crash

    Malmsbury man charged following crash

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 206998 A 28-year-old Malmsbury man has been charged following a collision in Newham. Police said the charges follow a…

More News

  • Beds doubled at Malmsbury youth prison

    Beds doubled at Malmsbury youth prison

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 296812 The state government has more than doubled the amount of beds at Malmsbury Youth Justice Centre. Following last year’s announcement of the centre’s…

  • Disappointment for Frigo

    Disappointment for Frigo

    It was disappointment for Melton’s Airleigh Frigo at the Winter Olympics on Wednesday. Making her Olympic debut, Frigo wasn’t able to make it through the qualifying rounds of the women’s…

  • Sports shorts

    Sports shorts

    RDFL Diggers Rest has announced another signing for the Riddell District Football League season. Dylan Stone joins the Burras from the Wangaratta Rovers. He has Victorian Football League experience and…

  • Bolinda’s green thumbs

    Bolinda’s green thumbs

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 533137 Bolinda Primary School students have been testing out their green thumbs in the school’s garden. Last year the school received a grant through…

  • Grass fire in Bullengarook

    Grass fire in Bullengarook

    An out-of-control grassfire is burning at the intersection of Gisborne and Bacchus Marsh roads in Bullengarook, prompting an advice message for residents in Bullengarook, Coimadai, Gisborne and Lerderderg. The alert…

  • Small Businesses Bus heads to Kyneton

    Small Businesses Bus heads to Kyneton

    The Small Business Bus is set to arrive in Kyneton for a day of free advice. The service travels across locations in Victoria to provide advice and support for small…

  • Cross funding shortfall

    Cross funding shortfall

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 421226 An extra $150,000 of funding is needed to complete the works at the Mount Macedon Memorial Cross to open it before Anzac Day,…

  • Artrise open date set

    Artrise open date set

    Artrise officially has an opening date set, with the whole Sunbury community invited to celebrate. The new arts hub will officially open with a community day on Saturday 14 March,…

  • Bombers bounce back

    Bombers bounce back

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 437915 Riddell has bounced back and returned to the winners list in the Gisborne and District Cricket Association Jensen Shield. After losing their first…

  • Wedgies given green light

    Wedgies given green light

    The Kyneton Women’s Football Club will take to the field in 2026, under the banner of the Wedge-Tailed Eagles. The Wedgies released a statement on Tuesday 17 February saying it…