SUNBURY | MACEDON RANGES
Home » News » Community ‘outraged’ over forest salvage

Community ‘outraged’ over forest salvage

Local residents are “outraged” at a government salvage operation underway in Wombat State Forest, which they say is “complete overkill” in the proposed national park.

In a statement, a Wombat Forestcare said more than 100 people gathered at Babbington Hill in Lyonville on Friday, April 15, to gauge work undertaken by VicForests to clear the area from last June’s storm debris.

“The reality is that they are removing the large fallen tree trunks and leaving the combustible material,” Wombat Forestcare said.

“This operation cannot be considered to be substantially reducing the fire risk.”

Macedon MP Mary-Anne Thomas said Wombat State Forest was one of the hardest hit areas during the storms in June last year, which was why the government was working with VicForests and Dja Dja Wurrung Traditional Owners to reduce risk to community safety.

“No trees are being removed unless they present a hazard or for operational safety,” she said.

A VicForests spokesperson said no felling is occurring in these operations and as part of the operation, they were prioritising the clearing of heavy debris first.

“Once the heavy debris is removed, remaining debris will be able to be assessed and appropriate treatment determined to both reduce fire hazard and to help restore the undergrowth to its natural ecology,” the spokesperson said.

In a statement, Dja Dja Wurrung Clans Aboriginal Corporation said their priority was to “restore undergrowth to its natural ecology by removing the fallen trees”.

“We are actively working with VicForests as they assist our capacity to care for Country in the restoration and clean-up,” the statement said.

Digital Editions


More News

  • Eskimo Joe to headline west festival

    Eskimo Joe to headline west festival

    Australia’s beloved alt-rock power trio Eskimo Joe are sure to have audiences up on their feet when they headline the Lincoln Park Twilight Festival. Held on Saturday 28 February at…

  • The sport of kings in Werribee

    The sport of kings in Werribee

    What many call the sport of kings will be on full display at Werribee Park as the historic Urquhart Cup polo tournament gallops into town on Sunday 1 March. More…

  • Jets’ excited for new challenge

    Jets’ excited for new challenge

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 467506 A couple of late signings have boosted the Sunbury Jets hopes as they head into the Big V men’s championship season. The Jets…

  • More cameras coming to Victoria’s roads

    More cameras coming to Victoria’s roads

    The state government will roll out 35 new fixed cameras, two point-to-point networks and tougher distracted-driving and seatbelt enforcement as part of its Road Safety Action Plan. The state government…

  • New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    Two new emergency treatment options will become available in Victorian schools to support students at risk of anaphylaxis. Education Minister Ben Carroll announced the two new services will soon become…

  • Newham residents call for action

    Newham residents call for action

    After a fatal accident on Three Chain Road, Newham residents are calling for urgent action to slow traffic down. About 7.20pm on 3 February, a car and truck collided at…

  • Community Calendar

    Community Calendar

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534644 Montage, Cut and Paste at Kyneton Library During this free event Diane Garrett, an experienced teacher and montage producer, will show how simple…

  • Fifty years of SunFest

    Fifty years of SunFest

    SunFest is celebrating 50 years this March. The beloved festival will take over Sunbury’s streets once again, for a special weekend full of fun, community and Sunbury pride. SunFest started…

  • Residents rally

    Residents rally

    Almost 100 Sunbury residents and members of the No Waste Incinerator Sunbury group descended on Spring Street on Wednesday 18 February to protest a proposed waste-to-energy (WtE) facility mooted for…

  • Malmsbury man charged following crash

    Malmsbury man charged following crash

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 206998 A 28-year-old Malmsbury man has been charged following a collision in Newham. Police said the charges follow a collision between a car and…