SUNBURY | MACEDON RANGES
Home » News » ‘Common sense’ plan for rail bridge

‘Common sense’ plan for rail bridge

About 80 Diggers rest residents gathered to form their own preferred plan for the level crossing removal on Old Calder Highway on Wednesday, July 12.

As a part of the government’s statewide level crossing removal plan, the crossing is due to be replaced with a bridge over the rail line in 2025.

The government is undertaking site investigations in the area to decide the best place for the new bridge.

Some residents became concerned about the level crossing removal proposals after a site investigation work notification letter was sent to residents in November last year.

The investigation works letter, which has been seen by Star Weekly, highlights an area from the end of Stan-Payne Reserve, over the railway line, and up the railway line parallel to it and Tame Street, to Diggers Rest-Comadai Road.

The area appears to cover parts of residential properties sparking fears that if the plan goes ahead certain properties may be up for compulsory acquisition by the government.

In recent months the government has held community consultations but has not confirmed the final design for the bridge or if any privately owned land will be earmarked for acquisition.

The state government confirmed designs are yet to be finalised, but some land outside the rail corridor may be required.

A spokesperson said the government will continue to consult affected property owners and the local community as the project progresses.

Diggers Rest resident Bob Rau organised the Wednesday town meeting at the Bowling Club, after being encouraged by the Level Crossing Removal team to create a vision for the bridge that residents support.

Mr Rau said the starting point for the meeting was that although no official decision had been made, residents assumed the current preferred option was the path the investigative works are on, which was of “great concern”.

During the meeting residents “almost unanimously” decided on one of five options for the bridge Mr Rau drafted, which would cross the railway line further south and include a bypass road connecting the Old Calder Highway to Plumpton Road.

“I have never seen an example of such a unanimous decision in 30 years … People said it would not disturb the people in residential streets nearby,” he said.

“I was particularly pleased with the turnout, the government should be entrusting the intrinsic common sense of the good people of Diggers Rest.”

The residents’ proposed plan will be submitted to the government.

Digital Editions


  • Concrete dreams come to life

    Concrete dreams come to life

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534267 It’s been a project a decade in the making, but the revamped Romsey Skatepark is finally complete. The…

More News

  • Grass fire in Bullengarook

    Grass fire in Bullengarook

    An out-of-control grassfire is burning at the intersection of Gisborne and Bacchus Marsh roads in Bullengarook, prompting an advice message for residents in Bullengarook, Coimadai, Gisborne and Lerderderg. The alert…

  • Small Businesses Bus heads to Kyneton

    Small Businesses Bus heads to Kyneton

    The Small Business Bus is set to arrive in Kyneton for a day of free advice. The service travels across locations in Victoria to provide advice and support for small…

  • Cross funding shortfall

    Cross funding shortfall

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 421226 An extra $150,000 of funding is needed to complete the works at the Mount Macedon Memorial Cross to open it before Anzac Day,…

  • Artrise open date set

    Artrise open date set

    Artrise officially has an opening date set, with the whole Sunbury community invited to celebrate. The new arts hub will officially open with a community day on Saturday 14 March,…

  • Bombers bounce back

    Bombers bounce back

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 437915 Riddell has bounced back and returned to the winners list in the Gisborne and District Cricket Association Jensen Shield. After losing their first…

  • Wedgies given green light

    Wedgies given green light

    The Kyneton Women’s Football Club will take to the field in 2026, under the banner of the Wedge-Tailed Eagles. The Wedgies released a statement on Tuesday 17 February saying it…

  • Macedon CFA open day

    Macedon CFA open day

    The Macedon CFA is opening its doors for a Community Day and Fundraiser. Visit the station on Saturday 28 February for a day of family fun, food, and special guests…

  • Women’s history centre stage

    Women’s history centre stage

    A special one-off theatrical performance is coming to the Kyneton Town Hall in celebration of International Women’s Day. In 2026, the theme for International Women’s Day is #BalanceTheScales – a…

  • Lions skin checks yield promising results

    Lions skin checks yield promising results

    A skin check bus hosted by Macedon Ranges Lions Clubs has offered insight to the local community about the importance of getting checked. In early February, the Gisborne, Kyneton, Woodend,…

  • Probus celebrates 50 years

    Probus celebrates 50 years

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534248 The Woodlands Ladies Probus Club is celebrating Probus’ 50th anniversary. Founded in 1976 in Australia, Probus has grown into a network of social…