SUNBURY | MACEDON RANGES
Home » News » Bernie Finn’s call for recount rejected

Bernie Finn’s call for recount rejected

Democratic Labour Party leader Bernie Finn’s calls for a recount of the western metropolitan region’s election results have been declined, spelling the end of the hard-right politician’s time in parliament.

The Victorian Electoral Commission (VEC) finalised voting for the upper house on Wednesday, December 14, with Mr Finn finishing behind Liberal candidate Trung Luu to miss out on one of five seats.

Following the VEC’s decision, Mr Finn took to social media to say he “may have to take [the decision] to a higher authority”.

“Despite the final margin being just 210 votes (out of close to half a million) in western metro and ample precedence, the VEC has denied my request for a recount,” he said.

The long-serving politician was expelled from the parliamentary Liberal Party earlier this year for disobedience around controversial social media posts on abortion.

Before his expulsion Mr Finn was the number one candidate on the Liberal ticket in the western metropolitan region since 2006 and was re-elected in 2010, 2014 and 2018.

His Liberal Party replacement, Moira Deeming, has secured her seat.

Mr Finn said he was “staggered” the VEC rejected the recount request given the size of the margin.

“It’s paper thin, I’m at a loss as to why they rejected it,” he said.

The VEC has been contacted for comment.

Meanwhile, in the northern Victoria seat, Animal Justice Party candidate and Kyneton resident Georgie Purcell has been elected to the Legislative Council.

Posting on social media, Ms Purcell said it was an honour to be one of the youngest women ever elected to the upper house of Victorian Parliament.

“For so long, I was led to believe parliament wasn’t a place for women like me,” she said.

“But now I’ve realised that more than ever, we need politicians with colourful backgrounds and diverse experiences to share in our halls of power.”

Digital Editions


More News

  • Eskimo Joe to headline west festival

    Eskimo Joe to headline west festival

    Australia’s beloved alt-rock power trio Eskimo Joe are sure to have audiences up on their feet when they headline the Lincoln Park Twilight Festival. Held on Saturday 28 February at…

  • The sport of kings in Werribee

    The sport of kings in Werribee

    What many call the sport of kings will be on full display at Werribee Park as the historic Urquhart Cup polo tournament gallops into town on Sunday 1 March. More…

  • Jets’ excited for new challenge

    Jets’ excited for new challenge

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 467506 A couple of late signings have boosted the Sunbury Jets hopes as they head into the Big V men’s championship season. The Jets…

  • More cameras coming to Victoria’s roads

    More cameras coming to Victoria’s roads

    The state government will roll out 35 new fixed cameras, two point-to-point networks and tougher distracted-driving and seatbelt enforcement as part of its Road Safety Action Plan. The state government…

  • New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    Two new emergency treatment options will become available in Victorian schools to support students at risk of anaphylaxis. Education Minister Ben Carroll announced the two new services will soon become…

  • Newham residents call for action

    Newham residents call for action

    After a fatal accident on Three Chain Road, Newham residents are calling for urgent action to slow traffic down. About 7.20pm on 3 February, a car and truck collided at…

  • Community Calendar

    Community Calendar

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534644 Montage, Cut and Paste at Kyneton Library During this free event Diane Garrett, an experienced teacher and montage producer, will show how simple…

  • Fifty years of SunFest

    Fifty years of SunFest

    SunFest is celebrating 50 years this March. The beloved festival will take over Sunbury’s streets once again, for a special weekend full of fun, community and Sunbury pride. SunFest started…

  • Residents rally

    Residents rally

    Almost 100 Sunbury residents and members of the No Waste Incinerator Sunbury group descended on Spring Street on Wednesday 18 February to protest a proposed waste-to-energy (WtE) facility mooted for…

  • Malmsbury man charged following crash

    Malmsbury man charged following crash

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 206998 A 28-year-old Malmsbury man has been charged following a collision in Newham. Police said the charges follow a collision between a car and…