SUNBURY | MACEDON RANGES
Home » News » AFL Victoria commits to Macedon Ranges Regional Sports Precinct

AFL Victoria commits to Macedon Ranges Regional Sports Precinct

AFL Victoria has vowed to commit $100,000 to help develop the Macedon Ranges Regional Sports Precinct in New Gisborne.

The sports fields project, which was developed by the council last year, involves the construction of a new oval complex, associated buildings and recreational facilities on land at the corner of Barringo and Hamilton roads.

The project is expected to cost $14.2 million, with the council committing $4.7 million.

Macedon Ranges mayor Jennifer Anderson said the AFL Victoria money was the first external funding commitment for the project.

“This fantastic commitment will help council and our community in our advocacy to federal and state governments and other sporting organisations for funding,” she said.

“It’s great to see that the AFL shares our excitement about this project because we need broad support to be able to deliver it and the great benefits it will bring to the region.”

The proposed first stage of the project will include a synthetic grass oval, providing all-year-round access for football, cricket and soccer clubs.

The sports field will be built alongside the Macedon Ranges Regional Sports Hub, which will provide indoor sports courts.

AFL Victoria chief executive Steven Reaper said the AFL provided AFL Victoria with funding to help councils and clubs develop well-located, accessible and welcoming football facilities.

“The New Gisborne Regional Sports Fields is listed as a key priority project in both the AFL Goldfields and AFL Central Victorian Regional Facilities strategies that were recently completed,” he said.

“This project connects strongly to two of our priorities, namely to plan and develop new facilities in key growth areas across the state, along with ensuring facilities are catering for the diversity of participants, particularly female participants.”

Meanwhile, the council has called on the state government to help it fund three sport and recreation projects across the shire.

The council has asked the government to provide $500,000 for the development of female-friendly changerooms at Gardiner Reserve in Gisborne as part of its Female Friendly Facilities Funding Program. The council also wants the government to provide $170,000 for practice nets at Woodend and Macedon cricket clubs.

Digital Editions


  • Inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes

    Inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes

    The Victorian Parliament’s Legal and Social Issues Committee is moving forward with a formal inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes. The investigation is designed to analyse…

More News

  • Festival’s landmark event

    Festival’s landmark event

    Ballan’s favourite community festival is set to return for its 50th annual event on Sunday 15 March, celebrating local culture, creativity, and community. The Ballan Autumn Festival is one of…

  • Eskimo Joe to headline west festival

    Eskimo Joe to headline west festival

    Australia’s beloved alt-rock power trio Eskimo Joe are sure to have audiences up on their feet when they headline the Lincoln Park Twilight Festival. Held on Saturday 28 February at…

  • The sport of kings in Werribee

    The sport of kings in Werribee

    What many call the sport of kings will be on full display at Werribee Park as the historic Urquhart Cup polo tournament gallops into town on Sunday 1 March. More…

  • Jets’ excited for new challenge

    Jets’ excited for new challenge

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 467506 A couple of late signings have boosted the Sunbury Jets hopes as they head into the Big V men’s championship season. The Jets…

  • More cameras coming to Victoria’s roads

    More cameras coming to Victoria’s roads

    The state government will roll out 35 new fixed cameras, two point-to-point networks and tougher distracted-driving and seatbelt enforcement as part of its Road Safety Action Plan. The state government…

  • New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    Two new emergency treatment options will become available in Victorian schools to support students at risk of anaphylaxis. Education Minister Ben Carroll announced the two new services will soon become…

  • Newham residents call for action

    Newham residents call for action

    After a fatal accident on Three Chain Road, Newham residents are calling for urgent action to slow traffic down. About 7.20pm on 3 February, a car and truck collided at…

  • Community Calendar

    Community Calendar

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534644 Montage, Cut and Paste at Kyneton Library During this free event Diane Garrett, an experienced teacher and montage producer, will show how simple…

  • Fifty years of SunFest

    Fifty years of SunFest

    SunFest is celebrating 50 years this March. The beloved festival will take over Sunbury’s streets once again, for a special weekend full of fun, community and Sunbury pride. SunFest started…

  • Residents rally

    Residents rally

    Almost 100 Sunbury residents and members of the No Waste Incinerator Sunbury group descended on Spring Street on Wednesday 18 February to protest a proposed waste-to-energy (WtE) facility mooted for…