SUNBURY | MACEDON RANGES
Home » News » $2.5 million boost for Sunbury, Macedon schools

$2.5 million boost for Sunbury, Macedon schools

Sunbury and Macedon Ranges schools will share more than $2.5 million of state government funds to improve teaching resources and student performance.

While the state opposition criticised the government for trying to pass off the latest allocation as extra money, saying it had already been included in May’s budget, the government said funding announced last week would lead to more students reaching the highest levels of reading, maths and science.

Those needing extra help would also be supported through literacy and numeracy programs.

Sunbury schools to receive money included Sunbury College ($664,997), Sunbury Heights Primary School ($281,955), Sunbury Downs College ($231,195) and Sunbury West Primary School ($100,824).

Kyneton Secondary College ($120,724), Kyneton Primary School ($69,986), Romsey Primary School ($34,109) and Gisborne Primary School ($23,992) were among Macedon electorate schools to benefit.

Other primary schools in Sunbury, Diggers Rest, Woodend, Lancefield, New Gisborne, Riddells Creek, Macedon, Trentham, Clarkefield and Newham also received funding.

The government said the money was on top of funds provided for enrolment growth, indexation and everyday running costs.

 

Digital Editions


More News

  • Eskimo Joe to headline west festival

    Eskimo Joe to headline west festival

    Australia’s beloved alt-rock power trio Eskimo Joe are sure to have audiences up on their feet when they headline the Lincoln Park Twilight Festival. Held on Saturday 28 February at…

  • The sport of kings in Werribee

    The sport of kings in Werribee

    What many call the sport of kings will be on full display at Werribee Park as the historic Urquhart Cup polo tournament gallops into town on Sunday 1 March. More…

  • Jets’ excited for new challenge

    Jets’ excited for new challenge

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 467506 A couple of late signings have boosted the Sunbury Jets hopes as they head into the Big V men’s championship season. The Jets…

  • More cameras coming to Victoria’s roads

    More cameras coming to Victoria’s roads

    The state government will roll out 35 new fixed cameras, two point-to-point networks and tougher distracted-driving and seatbelt enforcement as part of its Road Safety Action Plan. The state government…

  • New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    Two new emergency treatment options will become available in Victorian schools to support students at risk of anaphylaxis. Education Minister Ben Carroll announced the two new services will soon become…

  • Newham residents call for action

    Newham residents call for action

    After a fatal accident on Three Chain Road, Newham residents are calling for urgent action to slow traffic down. About 7.20pm on 3 February, a car and truck collided at…

  • Community Calendar

    Community Calendar

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534644 Montage, Cut and Paste at Kyneton Library During this free event Diane Garrett, an experienced teacher and montage producer, will show how simple…

  • Fifty years of SunFest

    Fifty years of SunFest

    SunFest is celebrating 50 years this March. The beloved festival will take over Sunbury’s streets once again, for a special weekend full of fun, community and Sunbury pride. SunFest started…

  • Residents rally

    Residents rally

    Almost 100 Sunbury residents and members of the No Waste Incinerator Sunbury group descended on Spring Street on Wednesday 18 February to protest a proposed waste-to-energy (WtE) facility mooted for…

  • Malmsbury man charged following crash

    Malmsbury man charged following crash

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 206998 A 28-year-old Malmsbury man has been charged following a collision in Newham. Police said the charges follow a collision between a car and…