SUNBURY | MACEDON RANGES
Home » News » Residents rally

Residents rally

Almost 100 Sunbury residents and members of the No Waste Incinerator Sunbury group descended on Spring Street on Wednesday 18 February to protest a proposed waste-to-energy (WtE) facility mooted for the town.

Supported by Western Metropolitan MP David Ettershank and Sunbury MP Josh Bull, the protesters rallied on the steps of Parliament before listening live as the upper house debated a petition calling for the project, proposed by HiQ at its Sunbury Eco-Hub site, to be stopped.

The advocacy group’s petition, which aims to halt any approval or progress towards building the facility in Sunbury until an inquiry into WtE is complete, was tabled in parliament in December.

No Waste Incinerator Sunbury spokesperson Alison Medforth said it was great to see so many people taking a stand against the project.

“It was really good to finally get our actual voices into parliament and have our concerns out there,“ she said.

Mr Ettershank, who tabled the petition, welcomed the parliamentary debate.

“Sunbury residents deserve to have clean air and a clean environment; they don’t deserve a witch’s brew of chemicals dropped over their town,” he said.

Mr Bull said he had met with both the planning minister and environment minister and has called on the planning minister in parliament to “categorically reject any planning application she may receive to build an energy-from-waste facility in [Sunbury]”.

A HiQ spokesperson said the company proposes bringing a safe, proven technology to Sunbury that will divert red bin waste from existing landfill, create new resources and provide benefits to the community.

“As part of our environmental applications, we are preparing a series of comprehensive technical assessments analysing the areas of most interest to the community,” the spokesperson said.

“These will be made publicly available for community review and input and will provide the site-specific evidence that we are confident will answer many of the questions we are receiving.”

Submissions are now open for the state government’s inquiry into the development and expansion of WtE infrastructure in Victoria.

The Legislative Council Economy and Infrastructure Committee, which is leading the inquiry, will investigate the suitability of existing WtE infrastructure plans and policies, and the impact on WtE in the community.

The committee will report back on its findings in August. Submissions are open until 27 March.

parliament.vic.gov.au/wastetoenergyinquiry

Digital Editions


  • Fifty years of SunFest

    Fifty years of SunFest

    SunFest is celebrating 50 years this March. The beloved festival will take over Sunbury’s streets once again, for a special weekend full of fun, community…

More News

  • My Place

    My Place

    Georgia Tacey caught up with Upper Deep Creek Landcare Network Landcare facilitator Ammie Jackson to hear about why she loves the Macedon Ranges and the work she does to protect…

  • Concrete dreams come to life

    Concrete dreams come to life

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534267 It’s been a project a decade in the making, but the revamped Romsey Skatepark is finally complete. The Lancefield Romsey Lions Club’s passion…

  • Beds doubled at Malmsbury youth prison

    Beds doubled at Malmsbury youth prison

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 296812 The state government has more than doubled the amount of beds at Malmsbury Youth Justice Centre. Following last year’s announcement of the centre’s…

  • Disappointment for Frigo

    Disappointment for Frigo

    It was disappointment for Melton’s Airleigh Frigo at the Winter Olympics on Wednesday. Making her Olympic debut, Frigo wasn’t able to make it through the qualifying rounds of the women’s…

  • Sports shorts

    Sports shorts

    RDFL Diggers Rest has announced another signing for the Riddell District Football League season. Dylan Stone joins the Burras from the Wangaratta Rovers. He has Victorian Football League experience and…

  • Bolinda’s green thumbs

    Bolinda’s green thumbs

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 533137 Bolinda Primary School students have been testing out their green thumbs in the school’s garden. Last year the school received a grant through…

  • Grass fire in Bullengarook

    Grass fire in Bullengarook

    An out-of-control grassfire is burning at the intersection of Gisborne and Bacchus Marsh roads in Bullengarook, prompting an advice message for residents in Bullengarook, Coimadai, Gisborne and Lerderderg. The alert…

  • Small Businesses Bus heads to Kyneton

    Small Businesses Bus heads to Kyneton

    The Small Business Bus is set to arrive in Kyneton for a day of free advice. The service travels across locations in Victoria to provide advice and support for small…

  • Cross funding shortfall

    Cross funding shortfall

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 421226 An extra $150,000 of funding is needed to complete the works at the Mount Macedon Memorial Cross to open it before Anzac Day,…

  • Artrise open date set

    Artrise open date set

    Artrise officially has an opening date set, with the whole Sunbury community invited to celebrate. The new arts hub will officially open with a community day on Saturday 14 March,…