SUNBURY | MACEDON RANGES
Home » News » Minimising gambling harm across Hume

Minimising gambling harm across Hume

Hume council will commit to a stronger stance against gambling in its draft Gambling Harm Policy.

Endorsed for public exhibition at the 24 November meeting, the new policy will take stronger action than the previous 2019 policy, which Cr Karen Shery said used mainly advisory language that had limited enforceability.

“This new draft includes clear binding and enforceable clauses,” she said.

“It introduces tighter rules for venues on council owned or managed land, including mandatory annual community value statements, requirements for venues with Electronic Gaming Machines (EGMs) to pay full market rent in new or renewed leases, stronger expectations around accountability and transparency.

“The draft also formalises prohibitions on gambling advertising in council facilities and provides clearer parameters around council events, grants and partnerships involving gambling venues.”

Other changes to the draft policy include stronger advocacy for a sinking cap, which aims to reduce the number of EGMs across the municipality.

However, not all councillors were convinced the draft policy went hard enough to minimise the impacts of gambling harm.

Cr Naim Kurt was one councillor who was on the fence on the draft policy, and voted against endorsing it in its current form.

“One of the things I was quite insistent upon which hasn’t made it into the draft report at this point was that I believe if you operate on council land and you’ve got adjoining sports clubs operating in that precinct, some of that money should be returned to infrastructure investment in those clubs,” he said.

Cr Kurt also pointed out in the council report the disproportionate losses across Hume.

“Of the five venues that operate across EGMs across Hume between 2008 and 2025, it accounted for $331 million of losses to our community. That’s 18 per cent of the $1.8 billion in total EGM losses across the municipality during that period,” he said.

According to the state government, Hume is ranked third highest in EGM expenditure in Victoria.

Council said in 2024/25, Hume residents lost $147.9 million to EGMs, marking the highest annual loss on record.

The hardest hit area was the south of Hume including suburbs like Gladstone Park, which recorded losses of $89.3 million, compared to Hume’s northern suburbs like Craigieburn and west, including Sunbury which saw losses in the same period of $34.7 million and $23.9 million respectively.

Have your say on the draft policy now until 15 February.

Details: https://participate.hume.vic.gov.au/gambling-in-hume

Digital Editions


  • Fifty years of SunFest

    Fifty years of SunFest

    SunFest is celebrating 50 years this March. The beloved festival will take over Sunbury’s streets once again, for a special weekend full of fun, community…

More News

  • My Place

    My Place

    Georgia Tacey caught up with Upper Deep Creek Landcare Network Landcare facilitator Ammie Jackson to hear about why she loves the Macedon Ranges and the work she does to protect…

  • Concrete dreams come to life

    Concrete dreams come to life

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534267 It’s been a project a decade in the making, but the revamped Romsey Skatepark is finally complete. The Lancefield Romsey Lions Club’s passion…

  • Beds doubled at Malmsbury youth prison

    Beds doubled at Malmsbury youth prison

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 296812 The state government has more than doubled the amount of beds at Malmsbury Youth Justice Centre. Following last year’s announcement of the centre’s…

  • Disappointment for Frigo

    Disappointment for Frigo

    It was disappointment for Melton’s Airleigh Frigo at the Winter Olympics on Wednesday. Making her Olympic debut, Frigo wasn’t able to make it through the qualifying rounds of the women’s…

  • Sports shorts

    Sports shorts

    RDFL Diggers Rest has announced another signing for the Riddell District Football League season. Dylan Stone joins the Burras from the Wangaratta Rovers. He has Victorian Football League experience and…

  • Bolinda’s green thumbs

    Bolinda’s green thumbs

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 533137 Bolinda Primary School students have been testing out their green thumbs in the school’s garden. Last year the school received a grant through…

  • Grass fire in Bullengarook

    Grass fire in Bullengarook

    An out-of-control grassfire is burning at the intersection of Gisborne and Bacchus Marsh roads in Bullengarook, prompting an advice message for residents in Bullengarook, Coimadai, Gisborne and Lerderderg. The alert…

  • Small Businesses Bus heads to Kyneton

    Small Businesses Bus heads to Kyneton

    The Small Business Bus is set to arrive in Kyneton for a day of free advice. The service travels across locations in Victoria to provide advice and support for small…

  • Cross funding shortfall

    Cross funding shortfall

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 421226 An extra $150,000 of funding is needed to complete the works at the Mount Macedon Memorial Cross to open it before Anzac Day,…

  • Artrise open date set

    Artrise open date set

    Artrise officially has an opening date set, with the whole Sunbury community invited to celebrate. The new arts hub will officially open with a community day on Saturday 14 March,…