SUNBURY | MACEDON RANGES
Home » News » Troubled Malmsbury youth prison to reopen

Troubled Malmsbury youth prison to reopen

A youth justice centre once plagued by staff assaults, riots, and escapes is set to reopen two years after it was closed.

On Tuesday 28 October Corrections Minister Enver Erdogan confirmed the Malmsbury Youth Justice Centre would reopen to house young people held under the state’s new bail laws.

An initial 30 beds will be opened at the centre for the lower-risk cohort aged 17 years and older.

The reopening is expected to cost $140 million over four years.

This is part of a new model for the Malmsbury centre, which the state government said will deliver a more intensive program of education, vocational training and job opportunities for the lower-risk cohort.

It will also allow for more tailored programs to be offered at Cherry Creek and Parkville.

To support the reopening, the state government said 114 staff members will be recruited to work at the centre.

Works will begin immediately to upgrade the infrastructure and security at Malmsbury, with the extra beds to come online in a staged approach from early next year.

“Our tough new bail laws are working – remand numbers are up – so we need more prison beds for young people,” Mr Erdogan said.

“We are all horrified by these violent and brazen crimes that are increasingly committed by children.

“We’re expanding the youth justice system to take serious youth offenders off the streets while also providing opportunities to lower-risk young people to get back on track and away from crime.”

Operational since 1965, the facility has been plagued with problems including inmate riots, staff shortages and escapes.

Just months before closing, one youth justice worker and several inmates were assaulted after a guard’s keys were stolen.

The incident led to three youths being taken to hospital with upper body injuries, while a fourth was given first aid at the scene.

In 2017, 20 prisoners escaped after assaulting a guard and stealing his keys, and another incident in 2019 when inmates were locked in their cells after workers were attacked with a cricket bat.

Opposition police spokesman David Southwick said the centre required millions of dollars in repairs, adding it should never have been closed in the first place.

“They said when they closed (that) it was outdated, it wasn’t fit for purpose. Now all of a sudden, it’s needed,” he told ABC Radio Melbourne.

The state government said works will begin to upgrade the infrastructure and security at Malmsbury, with extra beds to come in a staged approach next year.

The reopening is expected to cost $140 million over five years, with an extra $4.8 million to be used on upgrading security.

– With AAP

Digital Editions


  • Fifty years of SunFest

    Fifty years of SunFest

    SunFest is celebrating 50 years this March. The beloved festival will take over Sunbury’s streets once again, for a special weekend full of fun, community…

More News

  • My Place

    My Place

    Georgia Tacey caught up with Upper Deep Creek Landcare Network Landcare facilitator Ammie Jackson to hear about why she loves the Macedon Ranges and the work she does to protect…

  • Concrete dreams come to life

    Concrete dreams come to life

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534267 It’s been a project a decade in the making, but the revamped Romsey Skatepark is finally complete. The Lancefield Romsey Lions Club’s passion…

  • Beds doubled at Malmsbury youth prison

    Beds doubled at Malmsbury youth prison

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 296812 The state government has more than doubled the amount of beds at Malmsbury Youth Justice Centre. Following last year’s announcement of the centre’s…

  • Disappointment for Frigo

    Disappointment for Frigo

    It was disappointment for Melton’s Airleigh Frigo at the Winter Olympics on Wednesday. Making her Olympic debut, Frigo wasn’t able to make it through the qualifying rounds of the women’s…

  • Sports shorts

    Sports shorts

    RDFL Diggers Rest has announced another signing for the Riddell District Football League season. Dylan Stone joins the Burras from the Wangaratta Rovers. He has Victorian Football League experience and…

  • Bolinda’s green thumbs

    Bolinda’s green thumbs

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 533137 Bolinda Primary School students have been testing out their green thumbs in the school’s garden. Last year the school received a grant through…

  • Grass fire in Bullengarook

    Grass fire in Bullengarook

    An out-of-control grassfire is burning at the intersection of Gisborne and Bacchus Marsh roads in Bullengarook, prompting an advice message for residents in Bullengarook, Coimadai, Gisborne and Lerderderg. The alert…

  • Small Businesses Bus heads to Kyneton

    Small Businesses Bus heads to Kyneton

    The Small Business Bus is set to arrive in Kyneton for a day of free advice. The service travels across locations in Victoria to provide advice and support for small…

  • Cross funding shortfall

    Cross funding shortfall

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 421226 An extra $150,000 of funding is needed to complete the works at the Mount Macedon Memorial Cross to open it before Anzac Day,…

  • Artrise open date set

    Artrise open date set

    Artrise officially has an opening date set, with the whole Sunbury community invited to celebrate. The new arts hub will officially open with a community day on Saturday 14 March,…