SUNBURY | MACEDON RANGES
Home » News » New recruits to increase country firefighting capacity

New recruits to increase country firefighting capacity

Forest Fire Management Victoria’s (FFMVic) newest recruits are gearing up for the summer bushfire season, undertaking intensive training camps across the state.

The training camps ensure seasonal forest and fire operations officers are well-prepared to respond to emergencies and carry out vital work to reduce bushfire risk.

This summer, FFMVic is introducing 636 seasonal firefighters who will work alongside their experienced permanent crews.

14 training camps are being held across the state over the coming weeks.

Recruits complete two weeks of classroom and field-based learning, covering topics such as fire behaviour, safety and survival techniques, fire suppression, working around aircraft, and planned burning.

The camps offer hands-on experience, including operating water pumps and chainsaws, and driving specialised firefighting vehicles.

Beyond emergency response, seasonal forest and fire operations officers also carry out important land management tasks such as mulching, mowing, slashing, and spraying.

They help maintain fuel breaks, public land roads, trails, recreation sites, and assist with planned burns.

This summer, 92 seasonal firefighters will be based in the Loddon Mallee Region, working from depots across the region.

Last year, FFMVic firefighters responded to more than 1,265 bushfires across Victoria and delivered priority planned burns to help reduce the impact of future fires.

FFMVic chief fire officer Chris Hardman said they have had a diverse intake of recruits.

“Our seasonal forest and fire operations officers join us from diverse backgrounds, reflecting the communities we serve,” he said.

“They play a critical role alongside our experienced crews, responding to bushfires in some of the state’s most remote and challenging environments to keep communities safe.

“This summer, they’ll be part of a team of nearly 1800 frontline personnel and 1200 accredited incident management staff.”

Digital Editions


More News

  • The sport of kings in Werribee

    The sport of kings in Werribee

    What many call the sport of kings will be on full display at Werribee Park as the historic Urquhart Cup polo tournament gallops into town on Sunday 1 March. More…

  • Jets’ excited for new challenge

    Jets’ excited for new challenge

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 467506 A couple of late signings have boosted the Sunbury Jets hopes as they head into the Big V men’s championship season. The Jets…

  • More cameras coming to Victoria’s roads

    More cameras coming to Victoria’s roads

    The state government will roll out 35 new fixed cameras, two point-to-point networks and tougher distracted-driving and seatbelt enforcement as part of its Road Safety Action Plan. The state government…

  • New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    Two new emergency treatment options will become available in Victorian schools to support students at risk of anaphylaxis. Education Minister Ben Carroll announced the two new services will soon become…

  • Newham residents call for action

    Newham residents call for action

    After a fatal accident on Three Chain Road, Newham residents are calling for urgent action to slow traffic down. About 7.20pm on 3 February, a car and truck collided at…

  • Community Calendar

    Community Calendar

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534644 Montage, Cut and Paste at Kyneton Library During this free event Diane Garrett, an experienced teacher and montage producer, will show how simple…

  • Fifty years of SunFest

    Fifty years of SunFest

    SunFest is celebrating 50 years this March. The beloved festival will take over Sunbury’s streets once again, for a special weekend full of fun, community and Sunbury pride. SunFest started…

  • Residents rally

    Residents rally

    Almost 100 Sunbury residents and members of the No Waste Incinerator Sunbury group descended on Spring Street on Wednesday 18 February to protest a proposed waste-to-energy (WtE) facility mooted for…

  • Malmsbury man charged following crash

    Malmsbury man charged following crash

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 206998 A 28-year-old Malmsbury man has been charged following a collision in Newham. Police said the charges follow a collision between a car and…

  • Riddell’s next generation

    Riddell’s next generation

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 502756 It’ll be the baby Bombers for Riddell in the Riddell District Netball League this season. After three straight grand finals, the Bombers have…