SUNBURY | MACEDON RANGES
Home » News » Trucks stopped on Canterbury Avenue

Trucks stopped on Canterbury Avenue

Trucks have ceased travelling along a quiet Sunbury street after the state’s planning tribunal ordered that all work at 370 Riddell Road must stop.

Hume council took Fendall Farms Pty Ltd and Paul Attwell to the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT) over the ongoing works happening at 370 Riddell Road.

As reported by Star Weekly, truck movements on Canterbury Avenue due to the works were reaching 300 a day.

On Thursday 16 October, VCAT ordered all activity at the site to cease immediately.

VCAT also ordered that a permit must be issued before any new works can commence at the site.

Council said applying for permits did not simply mean the works would begin again, with any permits approved by council coming with stringent conditions.

Council also said if works commence on the land without approval, the matter will return to VCAT.

Mayor Jarrod Bell welcomed the outcome.

“[Thursday’s] VCAT decision is a win for the community in Canterbury Hills estate, and I want to thank them for their unwavering advocacy as we fought for an outcome that would stop this brazen misuse of Canterbury Avenue,” he said.

“I also want to thank council staff, who patiently and diligently collected evidence and did everything in their legal powers to find a resolution for our community.

“We have been with you in this fight, and we thank you for your patience in making sure we could ‘stop the trucks’ legally and with reassurances for future activity.”

The decision was also welcomed by Canterbury Ave Sunbury, a resident-led advocacy Facebook page.

In a statement published to its page, it welcomed the decision, calling it a major victory for the community.

“This is a huge step forward for Canterbury Avenue residents who have endured nearly a year of illegal dumping, dust pollution, noise, and danger. The EPA penalty is still to come, and we expect full accountability for the environmental destruction and health risks caused,” the statement said.

Council said it will continue to keep a close eye on the site and take further action if needed.

Digital Editions


  • Fifty years of SunFest

    Fifty years of SunFest

    SunFest is celebrating 50 years this March. The beloved festival will take over Sunbury’s streets once again, for a special weekend full of fun, community…

More News

  • My Place

    My Place

    Georgia Tacey caught up with Upper Deep Creek Landcare Network Landcare facilitator Ammie Jackson to hear about why she loves the Macedon Ranges and the work she does to protect…

  • Concrete dreams come to life

    Concrete dreams come to life

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534267 It’s been a project a decade in the making, but the revamped Romsey Skatepark is finally complete. The Lancefield Romsey Lions Club’s passion…

  • Beds doubled at Malmsbury youth prison

    Beds doubled at Malmsbury youth prison

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 296812 The state government has more than doubled the amount of beds at Malmsbury Youth Justice Centre. Following last year’s announcement of the centre’s…

  • Disappointment for Frigo

    Disappointment for Frigo

    It was disappointment for Melton’s Airleigh Frigo at the Winter Olympics on Wednesday. Making her Olympic debut, Frigo wasn’t able to make it through the qualifying rounds of the women’s…

  • Sports shorts

    Sports shorts

    RDFL Diggers Rest has announced another signing for the Riddell District Football League season. Dylan Stone joins the Burras from the Wangaratta Rovers. He has Victorian Football League experience and…

  • Bolinda’s green thumbs

    Bolinda’s green thumbs

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 533137 Bolinda Primary School students have been testing out their green thumbs in the school’s garden. Last year the school received a grant through…

  • Grass fire in Bullengarook

    Grass fire in Bullengarook

    An out-of-control grassfire is burning at the intersection of Gisborne and Bacchus Marsh roads in Bullengarook, prompting an advice message for residents in Bullengarook, Coimadai, Gisborne and Lerderderg. The alert…

  • Small Businesses Bus heads to Kyneton

    Small Businesses Bus heads to Kyneton

    The Small Business Bus is set to arrive in Kyneton for a day of free advice. The service travels across locations in Victoria to provide advice and support for small…

  • Cross funding shortfall

    Cross funding shortfall

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 421226 An extra $150,000 of funding is needed to complete the works at the Mount Macedon Memorial Cross to open it before Anzac Day,…

  • Artrise open date set

    Artrise open date set

    Artrise officially has an opening date set, with the whole Sunbury community invited to celebrate. The new arts hub will officially open with a community day on Saturday 14 March,…