SUNBURY | MACEDON RANGES
Home » Sport » Lavis joins Warriors

Lavis joins Warriors

The Western Warriors have locked in one of Victoria’s top young goalers for next year’s Victorian Netball League season.

The first of the Warriors signings for next season have started to come through, with Mia Lavis one of the new additions.

The 2025 Melbourne Vixens training partner and Australian under-19 player crosses for the North East Blaze.

Lavis said she was looking for something new and the Warriors seemed to be a really good fit.

“The Warriors are building at the moment and Kim Bailey is an amazing coach,” she said.

“I’m just excited to start fresh next year and get some good netball under my belt.

“Ruby Shannon who is at Warriors was a big factor for me going across there.

“I think some different coaching and new environment was needed, cause I’ve been at Blaze for a couple of years now.

“I loved my time there but it was definitely time for a change and to challenge myself in a new way at Warriors.”

Lavis had an injury riddled 2024 in her first season at the Blaze before stepping into the championship side full time this season.

She said playing VNL gave her an opportunity to play at a really high standard week in, week out.

“The only way you can improve, just putting yourself out there and being challenged by the best players in Victoria,” she said.

“This year was challenging. Obviously last year I didn’t finish out a full season, but it was made easier living in Melbourne now.

“Last year mum and I were travelling down every Wednesday and that definitely took its toll on us.

“It was nice to have the state netball centre just 10 minutes around the corner, get that exposure week in, week out.

“It helped my netball physically and mentally getting used to that environment.”

Lavis said her aim at Warriors was to hopefully lock down the starting goal attack position.

She said playing other positions like wing attack and goal shooter had helped her netball the past couple of years.

Signing with the Warriors caps off a big year for Lavis.

She was named as a Melbourne Vixens training partner and was named in the Vixens game day squad on one occasion.

“It was so surreal it still hasn’t sunk in,” she said. “I haven’t really reflected on 2025 yet. It was such an amazing opportunity to be able to train alongside girls who I’ve watched on tv that I’ve idolised.

“It was such a cool experience for me, something I cherish being able to sit on the bench for the Vixens.”

Lavis recently returned from Canberra where she spent time training with the Australian under-19 squad.

She got to be part of something special.

“I think they were saying it’s a first for Australian netball having the Diamonds and the 21s and the other under age squads there.

“ It was pretty cool to be in that environment. We got to watch diamonds match play it was very cool.”

Also joining Lavis at the Warriors this season is Megan Allen from the United Kingdom and Fionnuala Mckeagney-Stubbs.

Digital Editions


More News

  • The sport of kings in Werribee

    The sport of kings in Werribee

    What many call the sport of kings will be on full display at Werribee Park as the historic Urquhart Cup polo tournament gallops into town on Sunday 1 March. More…

  • Jets’ excited for new challenge

    Jets’ excited for new challenge

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 467506 A couple of late signings have boosted the Sunbury Jets hopes as they head into the Big V men’s championship season. The Jets…

  • More cameras coming to Victoria’s roads

    More cameras coming to Victoria’s roads

    The state government will roll out 35 new fixed cameras, two point-to-point networks and tougher distracted-driving and seatbelt enforcement as part of its Road Safety Action Plan. The state government…

  • New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    Two new emergency treatment options will become available in Victorian schools to support students at risk of anaphylaxis. Education Minister Ben Carroll announced the two new services will soon become…

  • Newham residents call for action

    Newham residents call for action

    After a fatal accident on Three Chain Road, Newham residents are calling for urgent action to slow traffic down. About 7.20pm on 3 February, a car and truck collided at…

  • Community Calendar

    Community Calendar

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534644 Montage, Cut and Paste at Kyneton Library During this free event Diane Garrett, an experienced teacher and montage producer, will show how simple…

  • Fifty years of SunFest

    Fifty years of SunFest

    SunFest is celebrating 50 years this March. The beloved festival will take over Sunbury’s streets once again, for a special weekend full of fun, community and Sunbury pride. SunFest started…

  • Residents rally

    Residents rally

    Almost 100 Sunbury residents and members of the No Waste Incinerator Sunbury group descended on Spring Street on Wednesday 18 February to protest a proposed waste-to-energy (WtE) facility mooted for…

  • Malmsbury man charged following crash

    Malmsbury man charged following crash

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 206998 A 28-year-old Malmsbury man has been charged following a collision in Newham. Police said the charges follow a collision between a car and…

  • Riddell’s next generation

    Riddell’s next generation

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 502756 It’ll be the baby Bombers for Riddell in the Riddell District Netball League this season. After three straight grand finals, the Bombers have…