SUNBURY | MACEDON RANGES
Home » News » Seven arrested following Cobblebank deaths

Seven arrested following Cobblebank deaths

Police arrested seven people as part of its investigation into the deaths of two children in Cobblebank earlier this month.

From 6am On Friday, September 19, warrants were executed at properties in Melton South, Thornhill Park, Caroline Springs, Sunbury, Wollert, Hillside and Sydenham.

Those arrested include a 19-year-old Thornhill Park man, a 19-year-old Caroline Springs man, an 18-year-old Wollert man, three 16-year-old boys, and a 15-year-old boy, all from the north-west suburbs of Melbourne.

All seven will now be interviewed by police.

The arrests follow two incidents in Cobblebank on Saturday, September 6 that resulted in the deaths of 15-year-old Dau Akueng and 12-year-old Chol Achiek.

Emergency services were initially called shortly before 8pm that night following reports two children were fatally injured.

Chol was found on Marble Drive while Dau was found on Cobble Street.

Both of the boys were assisted by members of the public before they died at the scene.

Victoria Police crime command assistant commissioner Martin O’Brien said “the word senseless has been used so many times already in relation to the deaths of Dau Akueng and Chol Achiek, because the reality is that it doesn’t make sense”.

“Two children walking home after playing sport, who should have had decades of their lives ahead of them … instead, their devastated families are grieving their loss and all the things they will never get to see two children grow up to achieve and experience,” Mr O’Brien said.

He said the criminal investigation has been exhaustive and complex.

“Today’s arrests are the result of diligent, thorough policework – much of it performed behind-the-scenes and through building sound, reliable evidence,” he said.

“Any incident that is so significantly violent that it results in the loss of a life is a concern for police. The impacts of these deaths, in particular Dau and Chol’s, are felt right through our communities – from the families who have lost their loved one, through to the loss of safety that many people feel as a result, even when they don’t know those involved.”

Mr O’Brien said that locally, police will have increased patrols in the area and are “working closely with community groups”.

Digital Editions


  • My Place

    My Place

    Georgia Tacey caught up with Upper Deep Creek Landcare Network Landcare facilitator Ammie Jackson to hear about why she loves the Macedon Ranges and the…

More News

  • Bolinda’s green thumbs

    Bolinda’s green thumbs

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 533137 Bolinda Primary School students have been testing out their green thumbs in the school’s garden. Last year the school received a grant through…

  • Grass fire in Bullengarook

    Grass fire in Bullengarook

    An out-of-control grassfire is burning at the intersection of Gisborne and Bacchus Marsh roads in Bullengarook, prompting an advice message for residents in Bullengarook, Coimadai, Gisborne and Lerderderg. The alert…

  • Small Businesses Bus heads to Kyneton

    Small Businesses Bus heads to Kyneton

    The Small Business Bus is set to arrive in Kyneton for a day of free advice. The service travels across locations in Victoria to provide advice and support for small…

  • Cross funding shortfall

    Cross funding shortfall

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 421226 An extra $150,000 of funding is needed to complete the works at the Mount Macedon Memorial Cross to open it before Anzac Day,…

  • Artrise open date set

    Artrise open date set

    Artrise officially has an opening date set, with the whole Sunbury community invited to celebrate. The new arts hub will officially open with a community day on Saturday 14 March,…

  • Bombers bounce back

    Bombers bounce back

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 437915 Riddell has bounced back and returned to the winners list in the Gisborne and District Cricket Association Jensen Shield. After losing their first…

  • Wedgies given green light

    Wedgies given green light

    The Kyneton Women’s Football Club will take to the field in 2026, under the banner of the Wedge-Tailed Eagles. The Wedgies released a statement on Tuesday 17 February saying it…

  • Macedon CFA open day

    Macedon CFA open day

    The Macedon CFA is opening its doors for a Community Day and Fundraiser. Visit the station on Saturday 28 February for a day of family fun, food, and special guests…

  • Women’s history centre stage

    Women’s history centre stage

    A special one-off theatrical performance is coming to the Kyneton Town Hall in celebration of International Women’s Day. In 2026, the theme for International Women’s Day is #BalanceTheScales – a…

  • Lions skin checks yield promising results

    Lions skin checks yield promising results

    A skin check bus hosted by Macedon Ranges Lions Clubs has offered insight to the local community about the importance of getting checked. In early February, the Gisborne, Kyneton, Woodend,…