SUNBURY | MACEDON RANGES
Home » News » Hume’s flexible waste vouchers success

Hume’s flexible waste vouchers success

Hume council’s move to a more flexible waste voucher system has been an overwhelming success in its first year, with residents redeeming nearly 95,000 waste vouchers for free services in the 2024-2025 period.

Council said the system makes it easier for locals to dispose of unwanted items responsibly, with waste vouchers being used for hard waste collections to visits to council’s resource recovery centres in Campbellfield and Sunbury.

The change has replaced the old ‘tip pass’ system which required residents to present their rates notice at the gate, often locking renters out of the service all together.

Every household in the Hume municipality now automatically receives waste vouchers each year, which can be used flexibly for either a hard waste or bundled branch collection, or a tip to a resource recovery centre.

Hume has experienced an 80 per cent surge in voucher redemptions at its resource recovery centres, a jump of 5000 collections for hard rubbish bookings, and about one third of hard waste being diverted from landfill through recycling of mattresses, fridges, scrap metal, e-waste and green waste.

The number of waste entitlements used was up by more than 50 per cent in just one year by use of the new system.

By continuing to use their waste vouchers, residents can help keep Hume’s streets clean and free from illegal dumping.

Mayor Jarrod Bell praised the new system.

“These results set the foundation for a cleaner, greener Hume well into the future,” he said.

“Our waste voucher system has made it simpler for every household to dispose of unwanted items responsibly. That means cleaner streets, less illegal dumping, and more materials recovered for recycling.

“We’ve seen thousands more visits to our Resource Recovery Centres, more hard waste collected, and significantly more items kept out of landfill.

Digital Editions


  • Malmsbury man charged following crash

    Malmsbury man charged following crash

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 206998 A 28-year-old Malmsbury man has been charged following a collision in Newham. Police said the charges follow a…

More News

  • Beds doubled at Malmsbury youth prison

    Beds doubled at Malmsbury youth prison

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 296812 The state government has more than doubled the amount of beds at Malmsbury Youth Justice Centre. Following last year’s announcement of the centre’s…

  • Disappointment for Frigo

    Disappointment for Frigo

    It was disappointment for Melton’s Airleigh Frigo at the Winter Olympics on Wednesday. Making her Olympic debut, Frigo wasn’t able to make it through the qualifying rounds of the women’s…

  • Sports shorts

    Sports shorts

    RDFL Diggers Rest has announced another signing for the Riddell District Football League season. Dylan Stone joins the Burras from the Wangaratta Rovers. He has Victorian Football League experience and…

  • Bolinda’s green thumbs

    Bolinda’s green thumbs

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 533137 Bolinda Primary School students have been testing out their green thumbs in the school’s garden. Last year the school received a grant through…

  • Grass fire in Bullengarook

    Grass fire in Bullengarook

    An out-of-control grassfire is burning at the intersection of Gisborne and Bacchus Marsh roads in Bullengarook, prompting an advice message for residents in Bullengarook, Coimadai, Gisborne and Lerderderg. The alert…

  • Small Businesses Bus heads to Kyneton

    Small Businesses Bus heads to Kyneton

    The Small Business Bus is set to arrive in Kyneton for a day of free advice. The service travels across locations in Victoria to provide advice and support for small…

  • Cross funding shortfall

    Cross funding shortfall

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 421226 An extra $150,000 of funding is needed to complete the works at the Mount Macedon Memorial Cross to open it before Anzac Day,…

  • Artrise open date set

    Artrise open date set

    Artrise officially has an opening date set, with the whole Sunbury community invited to celebrate. The new arts hub will officially open with a community day on Saturday 14 March,…

  • Bombers bounce back

    Bombers bounce back

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 437915 Riddell has bounced back and returned to the winners list in the Gisborne and District Cricket Association Jensen Shield. After losing their first…

  • Wedgies given green light

    Wedgies given green light

    The Kyneton Women’s Football Club will take to the field in 2026, under the banner of the Wedge-Tailed Eagles. The Wedgies released a statement on Tuesday 17 February saying it…