SUNBURY | MACEDON RANGES
Home » News » Call for safer intersection

Call for safer intersection

The Kyneton Bushland Resort owners corporation chair has launched a petition that will be lodged with state parliament calling for safety improvements at the intersection leading to the resort.

The petition calls for the legislative assembly to arrange the construction of a dedicated right hand turning lane into Melville Drive for northbound traffic on Edgecombe Road in Kyneton.

According to the petition, Melville Drive leads to Kyneton Bushland Resort and continues as an internal road on a subdivision of 126 lots, with the users of 120 of these lots regularly using the intersection as the only way to enter and exit the area.

The petition also states that between 2019 and 2023, there were four accidents – three of which were major and one leading to a person being hospitalised.

Resort owners corporation chairperson Jim Noy said a dedicated right hand turning lane would make the intersection “much safer”.

“It’s a designated road for heavy vehicles, and there are a lot of big trucks [that] use the road … with all the people who come into the resort … a lot of them aren’t familiar with the intersection,” Mr Noy said.

“Until we have some more bad accidents there, they’re not really interested in doing anything. But quite frankly, everyone who goes to the intersection will realise it’s not the [best] of intersections to serve a big subdivision.

“There’s just a lot of traffic movement at the intersection … and basically the only exit to that big area.”

Mr Noy said that an unofficial traffic count throughout a day in May last year recorded 1636 traffic movements.

Star Weekly understands that after a 2003 meeting between Macedon Ranges, VicRoads, and Kyneton Bushland Resort representatives, VicRoads did not recommend a dedicated right-turning lane due to traffic volumes and a lack of crash history – instead suggesting other actions, such as for the council and resort to increase the entrance’s visibility.

Council’s interim director of assets and operations Rebecca Stockfeld said that the council “can play an advocacy role and is broadly supportive of any proposed improvements to road safety,“ but “given DTP is the authority who will be assessing the need for a right-turn lane … we do not have a formal stance on whether this particular proposal is justifiable at this stage.“

The department of transport and planning was contacted for comment.

The petition closes on December 14.

To sign the petition, visit: https://www.parliament.vic.gov.au/get-involved/petitions/intersection-of-edgecombe-road-and-melville-drive-kyneton/

Digital Editions


  • Ambulance response times closer to targets

    Ambulance response times closer to targets

    Ambulance response times have been released for October to December 2025, with response times improving in the Macedon Ranges. According to Ambulance Victoria, paramedics responded…

More News

  • Finals race tightens

    Finals race tightens

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 466957 The race for top four spots will go down to the final two rounds in the Gisborne and District Cricket Association McIntyre Cup.…

  • Additional health test for newborns

    Additional health test for newborns

    Victoria has become the first Australian jurisdiction to include sickle cell disease in its universal newborn health screening program. This expansion brings the total number of rare but serious conditions…

  • Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents across Melbourne’s north and west are being called upon to reduce their water consumption as state storage levels fall to 61% of capacity. This current level marks a decrease…

  • Fruity festival returns

    Fruity festival returns

    If you have a green thumb, are an aspiring gardener– or just really love fruit trees– then there’s an event for you. The much-loved Summer Fruit Tree Festival will burst…

  • Finalists announced for AFL community venue award

    Finalists announced for AFL community venue award

    The 2025 finalists have been announced for the AFL’s Ken Gannon Football Facilities Award, recognising the projects that set the benchmark in best-practice design and development to help the continued…

  • New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    Australian women face significant risk when disclosing gender-based violence in sport and quite often receive inadequate or harmful responses according to new research from La Trobe Univeristy. The research project,…

  • Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrities are promoting their own alcohol products on Instagram without a clear disclosure of advertising content and almost all posts are visible to underage users, according to new research from…

  • Funding to improve road safety across Victoria

    Funding to improve road safety across Victoria

    Victorian community organisations and groups will get a total of $600,000 in grants from the Transport Accident Commission (TAC) to develop and implement local road safety projects. The funding, part…

  • Multicultural health committee expanded

    Multicultural health committee expanded

    Victoria’s Multicultural Health Advisory Committee has been expanded in an effort to make the state’s health system more inclusive and increasingly diverse. Health Minister Mary-Anne Thomas unveiled the strengthened and…

  • Grant to make Thunder grow

    Grant to make Thunder grow

    New East Sunbury female football ambassador Emma Grant wants to ensure the female footballers get the same opportunities as male counterparts. The former AFLW player and now Richmond AFLW assistant…