SUNBURY | MACEDON RANGES
Home » Sport » Cahill joins Melbourne eXtreme

Cahill joins Melbourne eXtreme

Melbourne eXtreme has made a last minute change to its line up for next week’s Bowls Premier League.

Nick Cahill comes into the side for the Club Sunbury franchise, replacing Matt Flapper who has withdrawn due to personal reasons.

Flapper is expected to return to the team for the next event.

It’s the first time that Cahill, the reigning Australian male bowler of the year, will play in the competition.

He joins Natasha Van Eldik and foundation player Ali Forsyth in the line up for the 17th staging of the event.

Cahill said he was thrilled to be debuting at the sport’s premier televised event and appreciative of eXtreme licensee Club Sunbury for the opportunity.

“I’m so excited about the opportunity and would love to thank Club Sunbury,” Cahill said.

“There’s a few nerves there, I’ve played a couple of TV games before but nothing in front of the crowd that I expect in Moama.

“But I’m going to relish this opportunity, I feel really good going into it and really prepared so hopefully I’ll be a good inclusion for the team.”

On the prospect of teaming up with Van Eldik and Forsyth, Cahill is bursting with excitement of having two of the world’s best alongside him on the Murray.

The 20-year-old is no stranger to the big stage, having represented Australia at the Junior World Bowls Indoor Championships in December, claiming two silver medals.

It will also be Van Eldik’s first time representing eXtreme, replacing Carla Krizanic, who has stepped back from this level of bowls.

Van Eldik is a dual gold medallist at the Commonwealth Games, having also won gold at the World Bowls Championship.

The Australian Jackaroo has also previously played in the BPL, including playing in two grand finals in BPL13 & BPL14.

Digital Editions


More News

  • Eskimo Joe to headline west festival

    Eskimo Joe to headline west festival

    Australia’s beloved alt-rock power trio Eskimo Joe are sure to have audiences up on their feet when they headline the Lincoln Park Twilight Festival. Held on Saturday 28 February at…

  • The sport of kings in Werribee

    The sport of kings in Werribee

    What many call the sport of kings will be on full display at Werribee Park as the historic Urquhart Cup polo tournament gallops into town on Sunday 1 March. More…

  • Jets’ excited for new challenge

    Jets’ excited for new challenge

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 467506 A couple of late signings have boosted the Sunbury Jets hopes as they head into the Big V men’s championship season. The Jets…

  • More cameras coming to Victoria’s roads

    More cameras coming to Victoria’s roads

    The state government will roll out 35 new fixed cameras, two point-to-point networks and tougher distracted-driving and seatbelt enforcement as part of its Road Safety Action Plan. The state government…

  • New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    Two new emergency treatment options will become available in Victorian schools to support students at risk of anaphylaxis. Education Minister Ben Carroll announced the two new services will soon become…

  • Newham residents call for action

    Newham residents call for action

    After a fatal accident on Three Chain Road, Newham residents are calling for urgent action to slow traffic down. About 7.20pm on 3 February, a car and truck collided at…

  • Community Calendar

    Community Calendar

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534644 Montage, Cut and Paste at Kyneton Library During this free event Diane Garrett, an experienced teacher and montage producer, will show how simple…

  • Fifty years of SunFest

    Fifty years of SunFest

    SunFest is celebrating 50 years this March. The beloved festival will take over Sunbury’s streets once again, for a special weekend full of fun, community and Sunbury pride. SunFest started…

  • Residents rally

    Residents rally

    Almost 100 Sunbury residents and members of the No Waste Incinerator Sunbury group descended on Spring Street on Wednesday 18 February to protest a proposed waste-to-energy (WtE) facility mooted for…

  • Malmsbury man charged following crash

    Malmsbury man charged following crash

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 206998 A 28-year-old Malmsbury man has been charged following a collision in Newham. Police said the charges follow a collision between a car and…