SUNBURY | MACEDON RANGES
Home » News » Council push for truck crackdown on Hume roads

Council push for truck crackdown on Hume roads

Load limit signage and truck bans are on the cards for roads in Hume’s north-west, as council vows to crack down on “cowboys”.

Following a call from councillor Jack Medcraft in March last year to investigate how trucks used Bardwell Drive, Wildwood Road (North), Konagaderra Road, and Gellies Road, officers found the roads were “carrying higher than desirable levels of industrial trucks” .

At a meeting on Monday, February 13, council voted to begin statutory procedures to install ‘no trucks’ signage with an advisory ‘over 4.5ft or 7.5m’ along the roads frequented by the large, load-carrying vehicles.

“Some of these trucks, honestly, they’re going at 110km/h or more on roads that are not designed for that type of speed,” Cr Medcraft said.

“And they’re certainly not designed for trucks carrying a bogie trailer at the back.

“In one instance, a resident said that they were very lucky that they weren’t hit head on, because the guy was going so fast that the trailer at the back was swaying left and right.”

Cr Medcraft wanted to see more police targeting the roads, as well as the speed limit reduced reduced from 100km/h to 80km/h.

The officers report said it was during the closure of the Mickleham Road and Craigieburn Road intersection as part of the Craigieburn Road upgrade that council was made aware of “a significant increase in traffic, including heavy vehicle traffic, on surrounding council roads”.

“Following the reopening of the intersection, increased heavy vehicle traffic has continued to be observed on surrounding local roads including Bardwell Drive, Konagaderra Road, Gellies Road, Wildwood Road (North) and Wildwood Road (South),” the report said.

Council will put out a call for submissions on the ‘no trucks’ signage using local media and council’s website, if in-principle support is gained from the Department of Transport.

Hume will consult with “directly-affected” properties on the proposal.

Digital Editions


  • Fifty years of SunFest

    Fifty years of SunFest

    SunFest is celebrating 50 years this March. The beloved festival will take over Sunbury’s streets once again, for a special weekend full of fun, community…

More News

  • My Place

    My Place

    Georgia Tacey caught up with Upper Deep Creek Landcare Network Landcare facilitator Ammie Jackson to hear about why she loves the Macedon Ranges and the work she does to protect…

  • Concrete dreams come to life

    Concrete dreams come to life

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534267 It’s been a project a decade in the making, but the revamped Romsey Skatepark is finally complete. The Lancefield Romsey Lions Club’s passion…

  • Beds doubled at Malmsbury youth prison

    Beds doubled at Malmsbury youth prison

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 296812 The state government has more than doubled the amount of beds at Malmsbury Youth Justice Centre. Following last year’s announcement of the centre’s…

  • Disappointment for Frigo

    Disappointment for Frigo

    It was disappointment for Melton’s Airleigh Frigo at the Winter Olympics on Wednesday. Making her Olympic debut, Frigo wasn’t able to make it through the qualifying rounds of the women’s…

  • Sports shorts

    Sports shorts

    RDFL Diggers Rest has announced another signing for the Riddell District Football League season. Dylan Stone joins the Burras from the Wangaratta Rovers. He has Victorian Football League experience and…

  • Bolinda’s green thumbs

    Bolinda’s green thumbs

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 533137 Bolinda Primary School students have been testing out their green thumbs in the school’s garden. Last year the school received a grant through…

  • Grass fire in Bullengarook

    Grass fire in Bullengarook

    An out-of-control grassfire is burning at the intersection of Gisborne and Bacchus Marsh roads in Bullengarook, prompting an advice message for residents in Bullengarook, Coimadai, Gisborne and Lerderderg. The alert…

  • Small Businesses Bus heads to Kyneton

    Small Businesses Bus heads to Kyneton

    The Small Business Bus is set to arrive in Kyneton for a day of free advice. The service travels across locations in Victoria to provide advice and support for small…

  • Cross funding shortfall

    Cross funding shortfall

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 421226 An extra $150,000 of funding is needed to complete the works at the Mount Macedon Memorial Cross to open it before Anzac Day,…

  • Artrise open date set

    Artrise open date set

    Artrise officially has an opening date set, with the whole Sunbury community invited to celebrate. The new arts hub will officially open with a community day on Saturday 14 March,…