SUNBURY | MACEDON RANGES
Home » News » Long road out of Jacksons Hill

Long road out of Jacksons Hill

Star Weekly is taking a look back at the best stories of 2022. Here is a story from May we think you’ll enjoy reading again.

The state government, residents and council are clashing over the construction delay of a southern exit route and rail crossing from the Jacksons Hill estate, in a decades-old issue reignited by road and rail works in Sunbury’s centre.

For more than 10 years, Star Weekly has reported the call to build a road connecting the estate to Vineyard Road from its southern end to give residents another way to cross the rail line.

In 2012, Star Weekly reported that Hume council and estate developer Places Victoria – now Development Victoria – had “signed an agreement for a third [rail] crossing once 750 homes were built at the estate”.

Twenty-five years after the development of Jacksons Hill began in 1997, residents still leave the estate via Bellville Drive, which becomes Evans Street or The Avenue, which becomes Barkly Street.

However, where Evans Street crosses town over Gap Road and Station Street to allow residents to get over the rail line, the road will be closed from May 30 for up to four months while the Sunbury train line upgrade takes place.

Sunbury Residents Association president Graham Williams described the issue as a “long running” project by state and local government to develop a third rail crossing based on a new exit road from the estate.

“It had been planned to be finished before the [level] crossing removal project fired up and will cut the town in two, but for a variety of reasons it has been delayed and of course the crossing removal was brought forward,” Mr Williams said.

In 2018, Sunbury MP Josh Bull announced the government would provide $3.5 million to council to connect Yirrangen Road down to Buckland Way, and Hume’s 2020-21 budget included $1 million to complete the project.

Mr Bull said he had raised the matter with Hume council “countless times over many years”.

“Hume council have identified a number of issues in relation to planning of this road and indicated that these issues are actively being resolved,” Mr Bull said.

“These issues relate to land acquisition and cultural and heritage management regulations and processes that must be undertaken as per the planning process.”

Hume sustainable infrastructure and services director Peter Waite said council was “continuing to progress the required legislative approvals for the construction of the road”.

“Council officers will provide an update on the project, with a report to be presented to council in late June.”

Digital Editions


More News

  • Eskimo Joe to headline west festival

    Eskimo Joe to headline west festival

    Australia’s beloved alt-rock power trio Eskimo Joe are sure to have audiences up on their feet when they headline the Lincoln Park Twilight Festival. Held on Saturday 28 February at…

  • The sport of kings in Werribee

    The sport of kings in Werribee

    What many call the sport of kings will be on full display at Werribee Park as the historic Urquhart Cup polo tournament gallops into town on Sunday 1 March. More…

  • Jets’ excited for new challenge

    Jets’ excited for new challenge

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 467506 A couple of late signings have boosted the Sunbury Jets hopes as they head into the Big V men’s championship season. The Jets…

  • More cameras coming to Victoria’s roads

    More cameras coming to Victoria’s roads

    The state government will roll out 35 new fixed cameras, two point-to-point networks and tougher distracted-driving and seatbelt enforcement as part of its Road Safety Action Plan. The state government…

  • New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    Two new emergency treatment options will become available in Victorian schools to support students at risk of anaphylaxis. Education Minister Ben Carroll announced the two new services will soon become…

  • Newham residents call for action

    Newham residents call for action

    After a fatal accident on Three Chain Road, Newham residents are calling for urgent action to slow traffic down. About 7.20pm on 3 February, a car and truck collided at…

  • Community Calendar

    Community Calendar

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534644 Montage, Cut and Paste at Kyneton Library During this free event Diane Garrett, an experienced teacher and montage producer, will show how simple…

  • Fifty years of SunFest

    Fifty years of SunFest

    SunFest is celebrating 50 years this March. The beloved festival will take over Sunbury’s streets once again, for a special weekend full of fun, community and Sunbury pride. SunFest started…

  • Residents rally

    Residents rally

    Almost 100 Sunbury residents and members of the No Waste Incinerator Sunbury group descended on Spring Street on Wednesday 18 February to protest a proposed waste-to-energy (WtE) facility mooted for…

  • Malmsbury man charged following crash

    Malmsbury man charged following crash

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 206998 A 28-year-old Malmsbury man has been charged following a collision in Newham. Police said the charges follow a collision between a car and…