SUNBURY | MACEDON RANGES
Home » Sport » Rogers gets his chance in green

Rogers gets his chance in green

Former Gisborne cricketer Tom Rogers will get his chance to show what he can do in the BBL.

Rogers, who is originally from Bacchus Marsh, was named as a replacement player for injured Stars skipper Glenn Maxwell on Sunday.

Maxwell broke his leg in an off field incident, with no return date set.

Having dominated Victorian Premier Cricket and played for Victoria’s second XI, it’s another chance for Rogers to impress at the top level.

He played one game for the Stars last season as a replacement player when COVID-19 went through the team.

Opening the batting, he made 32 off 25 balls. He wouldn’t get a second chance for the Stars last season, as he himself was then ruled out with COVID-19 while the side was short on players.

Rogers said that he was thrilled to get another opportunity at this level and it’s great to be a part of the Stars again this season.

Stars general manager Blair Crouch is rapt to see Rogers back in green.

“It’s great to have Tom back at the Stars and we’re looking forward to seeing what he can do if he gets an opportunity.

“We’re looking forward to a great start to the tournament in Canberra and then a huge night at the MCG on December 16.”

Rogers has been about the Stars squad throughout the pre-season and in the winter.

He played in the Stars team for the practice match on Saturday against the Melbourne Renegades. He opened the batting with Joe Clarke, who he opened with in his one BBL game last season.

Rogers has also part of the Stars Academy squad the last couple of years.

The program is tailored to assist player development, with the Stars playing a number of T20 matches in the Northern Territory in the off season.

Rogers played his junior cricket at Darley, Gisborne and Melton.

Speaking to Star Weekly earlier this year, he said it was unbelievable to make his Stars debut, a dream come true for him.

“It’s unbelievable and not something I’d expected to happen at all,” he said in January.

“It just happened pretty fast and I think that actually helped, because I didn’t have the time to have any negative thoughts.”

Rogers said he enjoyed the challenge of mixing with the game’s best in the T20 format.

“I’ve faced some reasonably quick guys… [but] there was definitely a bit of difference,” he said.

Digital Editions


  • Inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes

    Inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes

    The Victorian Parliament’s Legal and Social Issues Committee is moving forward with a formal inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes. The investigation is designed to analyse…

More News

  • Festival’s landmark event

    Festival’s landmark event

    Ballan’s favourite community festival is set to return for its 50th annual event on Sunday 15 March, celebrating local culture, creativity, and community. The Ballan Autumn Festival is one of…

  • Eskimo Joe to headline west festival

    Eskimo Joe to headline west festival

    Australia’s beloved alt-rock power trio Eskimo Joe are sure to have audiences up on their feet when they headline the Lincoln Park Twilight Festival. Held on Saturday 28 February at…

  • The sport of kings in Werribee

    The sport of kings in Werribee

    What many call the sport of kings will be on full display at Werribee Park as the historic Urquhart Cup polo tournament gallops into town on Sunday 1 March. More…

  • Jets’ excited for new challenge

    Jets’ excited for new challenge

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 467506 A couple of late signings have boosted the Sunbury Jets hopes as they head into the Big V men’s championship season. The Jets…

  • More cameras coming to Victoria’s roads

    More cameras coming to Victoria’s roads

    The state government will roll out 35 new fixed cameras, two point-to-point networks and tougher distracted-driving and seatbelt enforcement as part of its Road Safety Action Plan. The state government…

  • New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    Two new emergency treatment options will become available in Victorian schools to support students at risk of anaphylaxis. Education Minister Ben Carroll announced the two new services will soon become…

  • Newham residents call for action

    Newham residents call for action

    After a fatal accident on Three Chain Road, Newham residents are calling for urgent action to slow traffic down. About 7.20pm on 3 February, a car and truck collided at…

  • Community Calendar

    Community Calendar

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534644 Montage, Cut and Paste at Kyneton Library During this free event Diane Garrett, an experienced teacher and montage producer, will show how simple…

  • Fifty years of SunFest

    Fifty years of SunFest

    SunFest is celebrating 50 years this March. The beloved festival will take over Sunbury’s streets once again, for a special weekend full of fun, community and Sunbury pride. SunFest started…

  • Residents rally

    Residents rally

    Almost 100 Sunbury residents and members of the No Waste Incinerator Sunbury group descended on Spring Street on Wednesday 18 February to protest a proposed waste-to-energy (WtE) facility mooted for…