SUNBURY | MACEDON RANGES
Home » News » ‘Dangerous’ connectivity disconnect

‘Dangerous’ connectivity disconnect

When the flooding hit Woodend on October 13, residents said the lack of mobile coverage and inability to get in contact with loved ones elsewhere had been “dangerous”.

Reception is an ongoing issue in the town, a fight reignited by fires, storms or floods, or any disaster where it’s vital to access information.

During the recent severe weather event, which cut power at thousands of homes and inundated streets, parks and homes, resident Andrew Price said he hadn’t been able to make calls all day, and without a landline, he was cut off.

“[Mobile coverage is] an inconvenience all the time, and in a disaster situation it’s obviously dangerous,” he said.

“You don’t have access to the information you need, you don’t know where road closures are, you don’t get flood warnings.

“My daughter who lives in Geelong was panicking because four of us couldn’t receive phone calls.”

At a Macedon Ranges council storms community information session on October 19, another Woodend resident and former emergency manager with SES, Pete Stanley, raised the same concerns.

“When we lose power, most people in town do not have access to internet at all… if this was a fire, we would be in dire straits – I say that as a community member but also as an incident controller as well,” he said.

Council emergency management co-ordinator Eliza Tipping said there were council projects under way to improve off-grid power sources to assist communications.

“Unfortunately it hasn’t been ready for this even t… If your battery powers out on your device then you may not get [access to the VicEmergency app], so we rely on common sense, which I know sometimes doesn’t prevail,” she said.

She reiterated it was important to have community members who can take charge and provide advice in disaster situations.

Telstra regional manager Marcus Swinburne said power outages had not impacted the network, but the overload of people using the network which caused communications problems. He said work was being done to construct another mobile tower.

“The challenge with Woodend is not coverage per se, it’s a capacity and congestion issue … when NBN and fixed lines go down, everyone piles onto the mobile network,” he said.

He said the tower in Woodend was hoped to be completed by December 15, depending on challenges faced during installation including the wet weather.

Elsie Lange

Digital Editions


  • The sport of kings in Werribee

    The sport of kings in Werribee

    What many call the sport of kings will be on full display at Werribee Park as the historic Urquhart Cup polo tournament gallops into town…

More News

  • Community Calendar

    Community Calendar

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534644 Montage, Cut and Paste at Kyneton Library During this free event Diane Garrett, an experienced teacher and montage producer, will show how simple…

  • Fifty years of SunFest

    Fifty years of SunFest

    SunFest is celebrating 50 years this March. The beloved festival will take over Sunbury’s streets once again, for a special weekend full of fun, community and Sunbury pride. SunFest started…

  • Residents rally

    Residents rally

    Almost 100 Sunbury residents and members of the No Waste Incinerator Sunbury group descended on Spring Street on Wednesday 18 February to protest a proposed waste-to-energy (WtE) facility mooted for…

  • Malmsbury man charged following crash

    Malmsbury man charged following crash

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 206998 A 28-year-old Malmsbury man has been charged following a collision in Newham. Police said the charges follow a collision between a car and…

  • Riddell’s next generation

    Riddell’s next generation

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 502756 It’ll be the baby Bombers for Riddell in the Riddell District Netball League this season. After three straight grand finals, the Bombers have…

  • Williamstown cold case mystery

    Williamstown cold case mystery

    Thirty-two years ago, 79-year-old Leah Buck was attacked and robbed in Williamstown in broad daylight. The severe injuries she sustained would result in her death the following day. Her attacker…

  • My Place

    My Place

    Georgia Tacey caught up with Upper Deep Creek Landcare Network Landcare facilitator Ammie Jackson to hear about why she loves the Macedon Ranges and the work she does to protect…

  • Concrete dreams come to life

    Concrete dreams come to life

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534267 It’s been a project a decade in the making, but the revamped Romsey Skatepark is finally complete. The Lancefield Romsey Lions Club’s passion…

  • Beds doubled at Malmsbury youth prison

    Beds doubled at Malmsbury youth prison

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 296812 The state government has more than doubled the amount of beds at Malmsbury Youth Justice Centre. Following last year’s announcement of the centre’s…

  • Disappointment for Frigo

    Disappointment for Frigo

    It was disappointment for Melton’s Airleigh Frigo at the Winter Olympics on Wednesday. Making her Olympic debut, Frigo wasn’t able to make it through the qualifying rounds of the women’s…