SUNBURY | MACEDON RANGES
Home » News » The will to sur-hive

The will to sur-hive

There’s anxiety brewing among local beekeepers after a damaging parasite was detected in New South Wales, which could have a devastating impact on the Australian bee industry.

The offending critters are called varroa mites, and were detected in late June in biosecurity surveillance hives at the Port of Newcastle.

Since then, NSW has declared a statewide emergency order to control bee movement, with bees within 10 kilometres of the Port of Newcastle exterminated.

Woodend Bee-Friendly Society (WBFS) co-founder Ross Brierty said the action group is encouraging members to be vigilant and check their hives for the mite.

“I think every beekeeper would be concerned about what’s going on in New South Wales at the moment.”

Fast-breeding and tiny, the ‘Varroa destructor’ weakens and kills honey bee colonies and can transmit viruses, harming their ability to fly, pollinate and find food. If the current outbreak is thwarted, Australia will remain the only continent on earth without the mite.

As of Tuesday, July 5, tracing efforts detected five new varroa-infested beehives at Bay, Heatherbrae, Williamtown, Mayfield and Lambton. Another emergency zone was declared following the discovery of a mite in Narrabri, in north-west New South Wales.

Australian Honey Bee Industry Council chief executive Danny Le Feuvre said while he was disappointed the mite had made its way to Australia, it wasn’t surprising.

“We’ve been told for years that it’s not the case of if, but when,” Mr Le Feuvre said.

“We as an industry have been prepared for this, we’ve got a number of plans in place to effectively eradicate and if we’re unsuccessful at that, we do have plans for living with the mite as well.”

He noted while more than 2000 hives had been checked and traced, only a few had turned up the mite which was reassuring.

“At this stage we’re not seeing a huge amount of natural movement, or spread in landscape and we’re still really confident that we’ve got the ability to eradicate,” he said.

Matthew Croatto, WBFS biosecurity representative, said he was concerned about the spread as affected colonies had to be destroyed.

“They can’t take the risk. Because of the speed at which [varroa mites] breed, they can’t take a chance that there’s one mite within the colony,” Mr Croatto said.

A varroa mite outbreak would be disastrous to the Australian agricultural industry too – with crops including apples, almonds and berries reliant on bees for pollination and production.

On Wednesday, July 6, Victorian authorities announced restrictions on the movement of bees and their hives into the Sunraysia region, which shares a border with NSW.

Sunraysia almond producers require about 277,000 hives to pollinate their crops in August, about half of which hail from NSW and Queensland. Beekeepers must apply for a permit to do so.

Trentham Honey’s Lindsay Morris said he just hoped the parasite doesn’t make its way down here.

“I just hope they get it under control,” he said.

Digital Editions


  • Ambulance response times closer to targets

    Ambulance response times closer to targets

    Ambulance response times have been released for October to December 2025, with response times improving in the Macedon Ranges. According to Ambulance Victoria, paramedics responded…

More News

  • Finals race tightens

    Finals race tightens

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 466957 The race for top four spots will go down to the final two rounds in the Gisborne and District Cricket Association McIntyre Cup.…

  • Additional health test for newborns

    Additional health test for newborns

    Victoria has become the first Australian jurisdiction to include sickle cell disease in its universal newborn health screening program. This expansion brings the total number of rare but serious conditions…

  • Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents across Melbourne’s north and west are being called upon to reduce their water consumption as state storage levels fall to 61% of capacity. This current level marks a decrease…

  • Fruity festival returns

    Fruity festival returns

    If you have a green thumb, are an aspiring gardener– or just really love fruit trees– then there’s an event for you. The much-loved Summer Fruit Tree Festival will burst…

  • Finalists announced for AFL community venue award

    Finalists announced for AFL community venue award

    The 2025 finalists have been announced for the AFL’s Ken Gannon Football Facilities Award, recognising the projects that set the benchmark in best-practice design and development to help the continued…

  • New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    Australian women face significant risk when disclosing gender-based violence in sport and quite often receive inadequate or harmful responses according to new research from La Trobe Univeristy. The research project,…

  • Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrities are promoting their own alcohol products on Instagram without a clear disclosure of advertising content and almost all posts are visible to underage users, according to new research from…

  • Funding to improve road safety across Victoria

    Funding to improve road safety across Victoria

    Victorian community organisations and groups will get a total of $600,000 in grants from the Transport Accident Commission (TAC) to develop and implement local road safety projects. The funding, part…

  • Multicultural health committee expanded

    Multicultural health committee expanded

    Victoria’s Multicultural Health Advisory Committee has been expanded in an effort to make the state’s health system more inclusive and increasingly diverse. Health Minister Mary-Anne Thomas unveiled the strengthened and…

  • Grant to make Thunder grow

    Grant to make Thunder grow

    New East Sunbury female football ambassador Emma Grant wants to ensure the female footballers get the same opportunities as male counterparts. The former AFLW player and now Richmond AFLW assistant…